NATIONAL 2 SOUTH
CHINNOR director of rugby Matt Williams has set out a two-year promotion plan as his much-changed squad prepare for the new season.
Williams’s men host Dings Crusaders in their opener on Saturday, having brought in 16 new players and seen 11 depart.
Many expect Chinnor, whose signings include former London Welsh No 8 Alfie To’oala and ex-Italian international prop Tino Paoletti, to challenge at the top.
Williams said: “I have spoken to the board about a two-year plan plan for promotion and I see no reason why we can’t be pushing near the top this season.
“A top six-finish would be a fantastic turnaround after last year when we just avoided relegation.”
Paoletti will assist Williams as scrum coach, while former Cornish Pirates centre Junior Fatialofa is in charge of the backs.
Utility back Martin Nutt, who has joined from Henley, will captain the side, who Williams says are raring to go.
“Pre-season has gone very well and last year’s retained squad have massively embraced my philosophies as well as the new players.
“The atmosphere around the club is great and I’m excited for the season ahead.”
IN: A To’oala (No 8, Rotherham Titans), T Paoletti (prop, scrum coach, Lyons Rugby Piacenza), S Carloni (prop, Amatori Alghero), D McKee (lock, Hartpury College), J Kroman (lock, Parramatta Two Blues), D Oliver (lock, RAF), B Manning (flanker, Henley Hawks), R Long (flanker, Henley Hawks), J Fatialofa (centre, backs coach, Cornish Pirates), R Boughton (scrum half, Gloucester), E Keohane (fly half, London Irish Wild Geese), N Napier (centre, Zingari Richmond RFC, Dunedin, NZ), M Nutt (utility back, Henley Hawks), R Haile (wing, Hartpury College), J Robinson (wing, Henley Hawks), J Olley (full back, Northampton Saints Academy).
OUT: A Smith (player coach, lock, retired), M Goode (player coach, centre, Cambridge), Tom Whelan (prop, Grove), M Kruzyki (lock, Redingensians), T Mowbray (lock, Tring), L Gilbert (No 8, Salisbury), H Betts (flanker, Lough-borough Students), O Hirskyj-Douglas (flanker, Wasps Academy), L Hall (scrum-half, Northampton Saints Academy), W Millet (fly half, Loughborough Students), D Barnes (centre, Henley Hawks).
LAST SEASON: 11th.
PREDICTION: Top three.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup
- Michael Appleton aiming to convince Conor McAleny that Oxford United is best option for next season
- North Leigh eye one more scalp as they face Oxford United in Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- Oxford City Stars request plan from EIHA to deal with potential league restructure
- DARTS: Holder Preben Krabben makes it to ODDA play-offs
- DARTS: Oxfordshire's promotion ended by heavy defeat
- CRICKET: Blewbury & Wallingford CC quit Cherwell League
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor keep National League 2 South play-off dream alive as Henley Hawks also win
- RUGBY UNION: Banbury beat Witney as Oxford Harlequins and Grove lose, but avoid the drop
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Oxford United young keeper Lucy Brown praised after defeat