Oxford RL completed the double over London Skolars in Kingstone Press Championship One, but had to wait until late in the game before sealing their 31-24 away victory.
The visitors had to overcome numerous injuries and were forced to field inexperienced players all across the field.
In a game littered with mistakes, both teams were perfect from the kicking tee – a fine achievement in difficult windy conditions.
Oxford scrum half Jimmy Rowland and his opposite number, Courtney Davies, both kicked all four of their conversion attempts, while the visitors’ Tommy Connick added a fifth with the last kick.
All four of Oxford first-half tries came from mistakes from the Skolars.
First, Courtney Davies’s telegraphed pass was picked off by Connick, who strolled untouched to the line.
Then Rowland wrong-footed the defence to run in behind the posts.
Davies reduced the deficit when he scooted over from a scrum 20 metres out.
A defensive failure by Skolars’ Will Lovell gifted Andrew Hoggins a try just before the half-hour.
Oxford’s fourth try, which established a 24-6 interval lead, came from an incisive break by full back Sean Morris.
Mufaro Mvududu scored London’s first try of the second half, twisting his way over the line.
Then Lamont Bryan, breached the Oxford defensive line and the deficit was down to seven points This was further reduced when a clearing Oxford kick ricocheted into the arms of young winger Iliess Macani, who sprinted over the line.
It gave Oxford five minutes to hang on and they suffered further blows as Rowland and Alex Thompson had to go off, this after Callum Mulkern had suffered a hand injury in the first half.
In the final few seconds, Sam Egerton fed Sam Blaney for fifth try. The hooter went before Connick added the extras.
Oxford RL: Morris, Parker, Mulkeen, Brooker, Egerton, Rowland, Connick, Davies, Sharratt, Evans, Thompson, Hoggins, Rice. Reps: Blaney, O’Keefe, Newton, Hayles.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United v Exeter City - LIVE
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance
- FOOTBALL: Stuttering Oxford City beaten by ten-man Gosport Borough
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ella Franklin-Fraiture strike in vain as Oxford United fall to Durham defeat
- FOOTBALL: Superb North Leigh beat Swindon Supermarine to make four wins in a row
- DARTS: West Oxford Democrats Club survive scare to stay top of Section 2
- GOLF: Latest results from across Oxfordshire