LONDON Welsh head coach Justin Burnell would welcome the chance to sign Wales and Lions prop Adam Jones.
The 100-cap Ospreys tighthead is in limbo without a club due to the dispute between the Welsh Rugby Union and their four regions.
Jones, 33, has been linked with moves to Bristol, Saracens and Sale, but Burnell is happy to add the Exiles to the prop’s list of admirers.
“I would love to have Adam on board,” he told WalesOnline.
“I genuinely believe he is one of the best tight heads in the world, if not the best.
“When somebody of his calibre becomes available, you have to be interested.”
One player Welsh have definitely signed is 26-year-old Cardiff Blues lock James Down – whose capture was announced yesterday.
Down was was spotted by Burnell as a 16-year-old while playing for his former club Llantwit Fardre in South Wales.
And now Welsh’s head coach hopes he can help Down, who was called up to the Wales squad during the 2012 autumn internationals, progress further.
“I always thought James had a huge amount of potential,” said Burnell.
“Coming through the Blues system, he played alongside the likes of Bradley Davies and Lou Reed, who have both gone on to be full internationals.
“He’s played a lot of rugby in different competitions with Cardiff Blues and he’s another fantastic addition to our squad.
“I’m really pleased to have someone of James’s calibre on board.”
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford's record run over as Cambridge edge thriller
- LIVE UPDATES: The Varsity Matches
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University beat Cambridge University in Women's Varsity Match
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford University fly half Basil Strang gets his kicks by playing at Twickenham
- Oxford United drawn at home to Scunthorpe United in Checkatrade Trophy
- VARSITY MATCH: Pressure is still on us, admits Oxford University winger Tom Stileman
- VARSITY MATCH: Catherine Wilcock backing Oxford University Women to step up
- RUGBY UNION: Dark Blues skipper Fergus Taylor out for more Varsity Match joy