LONDON Welsh head coach Justin Burnell would welcome the chance to sign Wales and Lions prop Adam Jones.
The 100-cap Ospreys tighthead is in limbo without a club due to the dispute between the Welsh Rugby Union and their four regions.
Jones, 33, has been linked with moves to Bristol, Saracens and Sale, but Burnell is happy to add the Exiles to the prop’s list of admirers.
“I would love to have Adam on board,” he told WalesOnline.
“I genuinely believe he is one of the best tight heads in the world, if not the best.
“When somebody of his calibre becomes available, you have to be interested.”
One player Welsh have definitely signed is 26-year-old Cardiff Blues lock James Down – whose capture was announced yesterday.
Down was was spotted by Burnell as a 16-year-old while playing for his former club Llantwit Fardre in South Wales.
And now Welsh’s head coach hopes he can help Down, who was called up to the Wales squad during the 2012 autumn internationals, progress further.
“I always thought James had a huge amount of potential,” said Burnell.
“Coming through the Blues system, he played alongside the likes of Bradley Davies and Lou Reed, who have both gone on to be full internationals.
“He’s played a lot of rugby in different competitions with Cardiff Blues and he’s another fantastic addition to our squad.
“I’m really pleased to have someone of James’s calibre on board.”
Latest Sport news
- Michael Appleton: Oxford United must improve against League One's route one merchants
- Millwall result will determine Oxford United mood for next fortnight, says captain John Lundstram
- Oxford United boss issues warning over dangerous Millwall strikers
- Millwall manager Neil Harris full of respect for 'attack-minded' Oxford United
- Striker Wes Thomas’s calf injuries proving a mystery for Oxford United
- OxVox column: How I ended up building a network of exiles
- FOOTBALL: Justin Merritt backs Oxford City to deliver without suspended captain Scott Davies
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins and Banbury ready to lock horns in South West 1 East
- FOOTBALL: Wantage Town eye good end to tough week ahead of FA Trophy tie at Weymouth
- FOOTBALL: George McEachran features for England in European Under 17 Championship qualifiers