Reinforcements are on the way for Oxford United, with Michael Appleton targeting a minimum of four signings before the start of the season.
The head coach, who took over on Monday, held positive talks with two players on Wednesday.
New chairman Darryl Eales has made funds available to strengthen the squad, whose only signing so far this summer has been striker Danny Hylton.
Several additions are planned and the first could arrive as early as today.
Appleton said: “You get dictated by the budget you’re given, but I’d be surprised or disappointed if we weren’t able to bring in at least four or five before the start of the season.
“There’s an opportunity that certainly one might be in before the weekend, but the likelihood is early next week (when) instead of just being one it might be two or three.”
Bury midfielder Ashley Grimes has been linked with a move to the U’s, but Appleton said: “I’m aware of him and know he’s a decent player, but as of yet I’ve not had a discussion with anyone about him.”
The plans to revamp the squad have gone down well with the players.
Skipper Jake Wright said: “We need four or five new players and hopefully that’s what we’re going to get.
“It’s really exciting times for us.”
Latest United news:
- Oxford United's Benji Buchel and Tyler Roberts receive international call-ups
- Joe Rothwell positive despite Oxford United's EFL Cup defeat
- Oxford United 2 (Thomas 28, Crowley 90+4), Brighton & HA 4 (Adekugbe 2, LuaLua 76, Manu 81, Hemed 85)
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Brighton?
- Oxford United linked with Everton midfielder Ryan Ledson