Report this comment
  • "Agree with most comments on this - unless takeover team have a serious intention to purchase the ground or at least put funds in place to cover costs for at least 3-5 years we will limp along like we have done for last 5 years. As much as I welcome interest in the club particularly from the Methven camp we really need to see colour of money and depth of ambition if the club is going to survive."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

It's a waiting game for Oxford United

Oxford United owner Ian Lenagan with Simon at a U's game last season

Oxford United owner Ian Lenagan with Simon at a U's game last season

First published in U's News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The parties at the centre of the potential Oxford United takeover were all remaining tight-lipped yesterday and said they had nothing to say . . . yet.

U’s owner and chairman Ian Lenagan again failed to break his silence when contacted, although his son, Simon, did answer our call.

“As soon as there is something that needs to be communicated, it will be,” Simon Lenagan, who is also a board member, said.

A consortium led by Mark Ashton appear to be the favourites to take over the club should it be up for sale, with a team of Oxfordshire businessmen, led by Charlie Methven, also interested.

Although Ashton is the man fronting the bid for his group, the Oxford Mail understands that the person leading the talks is Darryl Eales.

Eales was once reportedly interested in trying to take over Birmingham City, whom he supports, and has strong connections with Ian Lenagan.

The United owner made £19m when selling Workplace Systems in December 2011 to LDC – part of the Lloyds Banking Group.

Eales is listed on the LDC website as an ‘advisory chairman’.

Further investigations show that last month a new company was founded – ENSCO 1070 Ltd – which lists Ashton and Eales as directors, along with Michael O’Leary and Frank Waterhouse.

There is no evidence, however, that this company is involved in the potential takeover of Oxford United.

When the Oxford Mail contacted Ashton yesterday, we were told: “Mark is unable to talk about anything at this moment, which you will hopefully appreciate.”

Oxford United supporters’ trust OxVox have also tried to speak to Ashton about the potential deal.

OxVox chairman Mark Sennett commented: “We have tried to contact Mr Ashton and are hoping for a conversation with him.”

Rumours of a takeover surfaced on Wednesday, with Ashton’s consortium first linked.

Methven’s group, all United supporters, then went public 24 hours later with their interest.

If any deal is struck, it is not clear whether it would involve just the purchase of Oxford United Football Club, or include the stadium, which is owned by former chairman Firoz Kassam.

Talks about the purchase of the stadium have taken place with Kassam in the past, but no deal has ever been struck.

United’s players report back for pre-season training on Monday, with head coach Gary Waddock having made just one addition to the squad this summer, striker Danny Hylton.

Our top stories:

New units aim to take strain off struggling A&E workers

Oxford Mail: The John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford

6:30am Monday 26th January 2015

MORE hospital assessment units look set to be set up to take pressure off struggling A&E departments.

Jayden trial: Jake Blakeley tells jury his killer brother was evil

Oxford Mail: Jake Blakeley, 18, from Didcot

8:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A TEENAGER accused of helping his brother bury the body of Jayden Parkinson wept in the dock as he was told to look at photos of the two graves.

'I'm glad my evil ex has been jailed for injuring me'

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

A WOMAN left with life-changing injuries after her violent boyfriend pulled her car’s handbrake on the A40 said she is glad the “evil” man has been jailed.

Johnny Mullins backing Oxford United's quality

Oxford Mail: Johnny Mullins

9:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

Johnny Mullins says Oxford United’s squad have the quality to get themselves out of trouble even without help from new signings.

Haggis and a wee dram on menu for Burns Night

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

FAMILIES and friends across Oxford are coming together to celebrate Sunday’s Burns Night in style.

Delight at decision to replace whole water pipe in Normandy Crescent

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

RESIDENTS have welcomed Thames Water’s decision to replace the water pipe running through a flood-blighted street as “a step in the right direction.”

A34 northbound re-opened after lorry crash

Oxford Mail:

8:28am Saturday 24th January 2015

THE A34 northbound between Marcham and Milton re-opened this evening after the road was closed when a lorry crashed into a ditch last night.

Plea for noisy salute today to Oxford United fan Keith Pasfield

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

THE KASSAM Stadium will echo to a minute’s applause this afternoon to mark the death of a lifelong U’s fan.

It was the sunniest December for 135 years

Oxford Mail:

7:20am Saturday 24th January 2015

DECEMBER is a month more known for ear muffs than sunglasses but last month was the sunniest in Oxford since records began in 1881.

Disabled swimmers are told Leys Pool now ready and waiting for them

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

DISABLED swimmers have been reassured by city council managers the right equipment is available at a new £9.2m swimming pool following criticism.

Hospital and health service staff planning 12-hour walk-out

Oxford Mail: John Radcliffe Hospital stock

6:40am Saturday 24th January 2015

MORE than 400 ambulance and 2,000 hospital staff in Oxfordshire could strike as part of a national day of action later this month.

Now students say: We don't want controversial Castle Mill buildings shortened

Oxford Mail: The Castle Mill flats

6:30am Saturday 24th January 2015

STUDENTS have called a bid to reduce the height of the controversial Castle Mill student flats a “scandalous waste” of money.

Two conmen sent to prison

Oxford Mail: Scales of Justice

6:10am Saturday 24th January 2015

TWO conmen who targeted elderly people in Oxford, taking up to £15,000, have been jailed.

Oxford City Council promises to keep its park and ride sites open

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Saturday 24th January 2015

CITY leaders have said plans to scrap park-and-ride facilities in Oxford were put forward without consulting them first.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree