Report this comment
  • "There is a bit more to this article than "nothing to report" - more than I expected when I read the headline.

    Let's hope to the heavens that any deal DOES include the stadium. No real way forward for the club until this happens..."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

It's a waiting game for Oxford United

It's a waiting game for Oxford United

Oxford United owner Ian Lenagan with Simon at a U's game last season

Oxford United owner Ian Lenagan with Simon at a U's game last season

First published in U's News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The parties at the centre of the potential Oxford United takeover were all remaining tight-lipped yesterday and said they had nothing to say . . . yet.

U’s owner and chairman Ian Lenagan again failed to break his silence when contacted, although his son, Simon, did answer our call.

“As soon as there is something that needs to be communicated, it will be,” Simon Lenagan, who is also a board member, said.

A consortium led by Mark Ashton appear to be the favourites to take over the club should it be up for sale, with a team of Oxfordshire businessmen, led by Charlie Methven, also interested.

Although Ashton is the man fronting the bid for his group, the Oxford Mail understands that the person leading the talks is Darryl Eales.

Eales was once reportedly interested in trying to take over Birmingham City, whom he supports, and has strong connections with Ian Lenagan.

The United owner made £19m when selling Workplace Systems in December 2011 to LDC – part of the Lloyds Banking Group.

Eales is listed on the LDC website as an ‘advisory chairman’.

Further investigations show that last month a new company was founded – ENSCO 1070 Ltd – which lists Ashton and Eales as directors, along with Michael O’Leary and Frank Waterhouse.

There is no evidence, however, that this company is involved in the potential takeover of Oxford United.

When the Oxford Mail contacted Ashton yesterday, we were told: “Mark is unable to talk about anything at this moment, which you will hopefully appreciate.”

Oxford United supporters’ trust OxVox have also tried to speak to Ashton about the potential deal.

OxVox chairman Mark Sennett commented: “We have tried to contact Mr Ashton and are hoping for a conversation with him.”

Rumours of a takeover surfaced on Wednesday, with Ashton’s consortium first linked.

Methven’s group, all United supporters, then went public 24 hours later with their interest.

If any deal is struck, it is not clear whether it would involve just the purchase of Oxford United Football Club, or include the stadium, which is owned by former chairman Firoz Kassam.

Talks about the purchase of the stadium have taken place with Kassam in the past, but no deal has ever been struck.

United’s players report back for pre-season training on Monday, with head coach Gary Waddock having made just one addition to the squad this summer, striker Danny Hylton.

Our top stories:

Army will apologise to paratrooper after bullying claim at RAF Brize Norton upheld

Oxford Mail:

4:11pm Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE Army has said it will apologise to a paratrooper who lost three limbs in Afghanistan after his complaint of bullying was upheld.

Witney job centre cordoned off after suspicious package scare

Oxford Mail:

11:38am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A job centre was cordoned off after reports of a suspicious package.

Two road closures next week on A34 and in Oxford

Oxford Mail: Traffic Alert general

10:52am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PARTS of the A34 and Walton Street will be closed next week as roadworks are carried out.

Thames Water under fire from residents who say they’ve been left in the dark

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

ANGRY residents flooded out of their homes say they are being left in the dark by Thames Water a week after disaster struck.

One lane of Botley Road shut for emergency work

Oxford Mail: Burst water main closes Lower Hall Lane in Chingford

9:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THAMES Water started emergency roadworks in Botley Road last night.

WATCH: Right royal occasion as RAF hands on helicopters + video

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

PRINCE Andrew joined RAF personnel and Royal Navy staff as they paraded at RAF Benson yesterday to mark one of the base’s helicopter squadrons being officially disbanded.

Bridge fall man is still critically ill in hospital

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man was last night still fighting for his life in hospital after falling from a bridge and colliding with a vehicle.

Sex with teen denied

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A man has gone on trial accused of having sex with a 14-year-old girl.

Brothel sentence delay

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

Two women who admitted being involved in running a brothel had the date for their sentencing changed.

More child sex victims are being identified

Oxford Mail: Bullfinch banner 630

8:30am Wednesday 1st October 2014

HIGH-profile sex trafficking cases like Oxford’s Operation Bullfinch have led to more child victims being identified, the National Crime Agency (NCA) has said.

Teenage girl a victim of ‘revenge pornography’

Oxford Mail: Foorball forges links between police and youngsters

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 13-year-old girl is among the region’s victims of so-called “revenge pornography”.

Just one more series for me says Lewis star

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

LEWIS star Kevin Whately has said he only wants to appear in one more series of the Oxford-based TV drama.

Burglary case put back

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

A 32-year-old man accused of burgling a home and stealing a BMW from the driveway had his case adjourned yesterday.

Downton Abbey creator Julian Fellowes turns his cameras on wartime Blenheim Palace

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Wednesday 1st October 2014

THE creator of hit TV drama Downton Abbey has been investigating how the real-life stately home of Blenheim Palace coped with the First World War.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree