Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

9:30am Friday 27th June 2014

By Mark Edwards

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

Police are looking to get more officers back out on the beat

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 31st July 2015

BOBBIES will be given more time on the beat and ‘hot spots’ of crime are to be tackled after a landmark policing review.

Caribbean cuisine is on the menu at site of famous city centre pub

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Friday 31st July 2015

A FORMER pub in Oxford is set to be transformed into a Caribbean restaurant after sitting empty for nearly six months.

Army experts continue to examine substance that caused Oxford street to shut

Oxford Mail:

10:17am Friday 31st July 2015

AN unknown substance believed to be the cause of soil contamination at a Cowley house will continue to be analysed by the Ministry of Defence today.

Suspect in custody after woman escapes rape attempt on towpath

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 31st July 2015

A MAN was last night in custody after an attempted rape in Sandford-on-Thames yesterday afternoon.

Actor Steve Hay has the beard that keeps on giving

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 31st July 2015

ACTOR Steve Hay has grown the beard that keeps on giving and now he is worried he can’t afford to shave it off.

Anthony Stansfeld slashes St Aldate’s Police Station upgrade

Oxford Mail: Police and Crime Commissioner Anthony Stansfield.

8:30am Friday 31st July 2015

PLANS to refurbish St Aldate’s Police Station in Oxford have been scaled back as part of £10.5million fresh police savings.

More residents now cash in on renting parking for commuters

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Friday 31st July 2015

WITH parking charges at a premium in Oxford homeowners are cashing in by renting out their driveways to commuters.

New hunt for ‘missing’ sewage pumping stations

Oxford Mail: Thames Water

8:00am Friday 31st July 2015

THAMES Water has appealed for help finding 250 “missing” sewage pumping stations in Oxfordshire.

Man who punched two women in street is spared prison

Oxford Mail: OM Crown

8:00am Friday 31st July 2015

A MAN who attacked two women before knocking a peacemaker unconscious when he tried to break up the fight was found by police hiding under his bed, a court heard.

Woman taken to hospital after crashing into tree in Ducklington near Witney

Oxford Mail:

8:07am Friday 31st July 2015

A woman was taken to hospital after crashing into a tree in Ducklington near Witney.

Violent attack on tenant gets landlord seven years in prison

Oxford Mail: OM Crown

7:00am Friday 31st July 2015

A MAN who attacked a tenant in the street following a “campaign of harassment and violence” over rent has been jailed for seven years.

Didcot shopping centre gets go-ahead

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Friday 31st July 2015

WORK on the £50m second phase of Didcot’s Orchard shopping centre could start within months after it was backed by councillors.

Row brewing up on impact of student housing on cemetery

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Friday 31st July 2015

A ROW between Oxford colleges is looming over a scheme to build 349 student rooms next to a historic cemetery.

Endeavour filming at old County Hall

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Friday 31st July 2015

COUNTY Hall provided the latest backdrop for ITV drama Endeavour when crews set up in Oxford city centre.

Back

© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/trade_directory/