Report this comment
  • "When he first took over FK promised he would take us on a journey and he's still taking for a ride now!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

First published in U's News Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

UPDATE: Two men taken to hospital after crash near Pear Tree

Oxford Mail:

3:05pm Friday 6th March 2015

TWO men have been taken to John Radcliffe hospital following a six-vehicle crash on the A34 Northbound at the Peartree Interchange..

Robert Blackwell pleads guilty to causing the death of Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker

Oxford Mail:

2:44pm Friday 6th March 2015

TEENAGER Robert Blackwell has pleaded guilty to causing the death of Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker.

Benefit cheats fleeced taxpayers out of £1.3m

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 6th March 2015

FRAUDSTERS in Oxford raked in almost £1.28m in the past financial year from the public purse.

Victims in Banbury sex abuse case are praised for their bravery

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

1:24pm Friday 6th March 2015

THE victims in the Banbury sex abuse case have been praised for their bravery throughout the trial.

UPDATE: Two cars flip over in separate crashes in Oxford

Oxford Mail:

8:18am Friday 6th March 2015

TWO cars were left on their roofs after flipping in separate crashes this morning.

Two women being supported after suspected brothel raided in Cowley Road

Oxford Mail: police officer rear

11:35am Friday 6th March 2015

TWO women have been removed from a suspected brother in Cowley Road.

UPDATE: Five men arrested in Kidlington on suspicion of cyber crimes + pics

Oxford Mail:

10:25am Friday 6th March 2015

FIVE men have been arrested on suspicion of cyber crimes in Kidlington, police said.

Care Minister's plans inspired by Connor

Oxford Mail: Norman Lamb

9:30am Friday 6th March 2015

TEENAGER Connor Sparrowhawk will be given a “lasting legacy” by a public consultation being launched today.

University dons vote against reducing height of Castle Mill

Oxford Mail: Oxford Univesity logo white lettering blue background new logo

9:30am Friday 6th March 2015

AN ATTEMPT to reduce the height of the Castle Mill student flats has been thrown out by Oxford University dons.

Oxford United are ready for a scrap, says ex-Bury player Scarz

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 6th March 2015

Joe Skarz says Oxford United are under no illusions about the scale of the task which still lies ahead if they are to get out of the relegation battle in Sky Bet League Two.

Leading choirs will be in tune for performance

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 6th March 2015

THREE world-leading choirs will join forces tomorrow for the first time for 30 years.

Skye Hall's death sparks demand for research to stop cancer sufferers dying from neurotoxicity from treament

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 6th March 2015

LEADING specialists have joined the parents of Skye Hall to demand research to prevent more deaths after the treatment that killed him was suspended.

County to be hotter than Med as temperatures rise

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 6th March 2015

OXFORDSHIRE looks set to be hotter than the Mediterranean on Saturday as temperatures are set to rise over the weekend.

Nine held in immigration raids in Didcot

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 6th March 2015

NINE men have been arrested during raids at two restaurants in Didcot, the Home Office has revealed.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree