Report this comment
  • "Sounds like a well intentioned effort from Mr Methven but it sounds like a group of boys wanting to own a car they can't really afford to run. If the other interested party is the guy who spent a brief time at Watford&Wycombe and who doesn't appear to have made any friends at either club then I'd prefer Mr Methvens involvement than another Kassam clown. You can't help but love the tortured journey our club has taken us!!"
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Businessman Methven launches Oxford United takeover

Oxford Mail: Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United Charlie Methven is leading a group of businessmen who want to take charge of Oxford United

The leader of a group of Oxfordshire businessmen who have launched a takeover bid for Oxford United, says they have the financial muscle to take the club forward.

Charlie Methven confirmed last night that talks have taken place between his consortium and U’s owner Ian Lenagan.

However, the United supporter doubted they were the frontrunners, with a rival group, led by Mark Ashton, believed to still be in pole position to take control.

Methven, who has been working in an advisory role with the U’s, says his group have spoken to Lenagan and will provide him with an “alternative option”.

“We approached the owner about a month ago and indicated that if the club came up for sale, we would be interested,” Methven said.

“We held conversations that were both friendly and constructive.

“Those conversations have dried up in recent weeks, I am not sure exactly why, but it might indicate that somebody is in a stronger position than us.”

He added: “In previous years when Oxford United have been in difficulties, there has only been one offer on the table.

“I do not believe this is healthy, and so we are keen to provide an alternative option.

“We have raised significant funds, and feel the amount would be sufficient.

“However, we could have more funds as a back-up if needed.

“We have given a firm indication we would be interested, and believe Ian was grateful for that interest.”

The situation has arisen due to speculation the United chairman is unwilling to continue pouring money into a club which has lost more than £1m for two successive years.

The latest available accounts, which cover the 12 months up to the end of June 2013, show Lenagan’s total investment, through his Woodstock Partners Ltd company, was in excess of £6m.

Methven is hoping his group’s affinity with Oxford United could work in their favour.

“I have, and remain, a major supporter of what the Lenagans have done,” Methven said.

“They have put a number of very good things in place at the club, and I was concerned – and still am – that whoever comes in, if they are an unknown quantity, won’t be the best people to complete those things.”

Methven was appointed as a trustee of the Oxford United Youth and Community Sports Trust in May 2011 and last year played a key role in setting up fans’ group the Yellow Army.

His name was revealed in a statement from supporters’ trust OxVox, whose calls for Lenagan to break his silence and put fans in the picture of developments have fallen on deaf ears.

The U’s owner has still to return any calls from the Oxford Mail or reply to any of our requests for an interview.

Our top stories:

Community association given stay of execution

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

A COMMUNITY group was celebrating yesterday after being told it could stay at its base for the immediate future.

Operation clean-up on estate hit by mini whirlwind

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

A CLEAN-up operation was under way yesterday to remove the damage caused by a whirlwind over the weekend.

Update: Fiaz Munshi guilty of manslaughter over Magdalen Road arson and not guilty of murder

Oxford Mail:

2:52pm Tuesday 22nd July 2014

FIAZ MUNSHI has been found guilty of manslaughter and not guilty of murder over the deaths of two children in an arson attack in East Oxford in 1997.

She was loved by so many: huge turn-out for the funeral of Liberty Baker

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

MORE than 300 friends and relatives turned out yesterday to pay their final respects to Witney schoolgirl Liberty Baker.

Exhibition unravels the story of boy king’s tomb

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

HIDDEN under the sand for centuries, this little statue will come face-to-face with thousands of visitors in Oxford.

Firefighters continue to tackle barn blaze near Thame

Oxford Mail: Fire engine Oxfordshire

7:55am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

Firefighters are still tackling a barn blaze near Thame which closed the A148 for four hours last night. 

Downton’s church set

Oxford Mail: Highclere Castle, better known to many as Downton Abbey

7:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

ITV drama Downton Abbey came to Charlbury's St Mary’s Church yesterday.

Murder jury retires

Oxford Mail: Oxford Crown Court

7:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

The jury in the trial of Fiaz Munshi has begun its deliberations.

Disgust as puppies abandoned in box

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

Two puppies, one of which was dead, were found abandoned in a cardboard box in Wallingford yesterday..

Morris team is looking to the future with its newest recruit

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

YOU’RE never too young to take up an age-old hobby.

Schoolboy dies after falling ill on holiday

Oxford Mail:

7:00am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

TRIBUTES have been paid to a 14-year-old described as a “fantastic kid” who died after becoming ill on holiday in France.

Last chance for say on transport

Oxford Mail: oxfordshire county council logo round

6:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

THE public have their last chance to comment on proposals for major transport schemes across Oxfordshire.

Plans unveiled for 200-home development

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

RESIDENTS were invited to give their views on a proposed 200-home development in Witney yesterday.

Schoolgirl laments the loss of towers in poetic tribute

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Tuesday 22nd July 2014

THIS 12-year-old girl was so moved by the impending demolition of Didcot Power Station she wrote a poem about it.

Local Businesses

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree