Report this comment
  • "
    Joe1 wrote:
    Sounds very much like he is under instructions NOT to have pay players to leave, regardless of how poor they are. All about saving money. We badly need to sign some decent players. It does not bode well , unless there is another turn around. I can't see too many fans returning on this basis.
    Hear hear, sounds like he's been told he has no money in the kitty. Just about what most of us astute fans expected. The club is now an absolute joke, Waddock talked big but now has to back down and do what he's told by Lenagan. Ticket sales will sadly bomb as next season looks to be a disaster long before it begins."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Waddock: No Oxford United players will be transfer-listed

Gary Waddock will not be placing any under-contract Oxford United players on the transfer list

Gary Waddock will not be placing any under-contract Oxford United players on the transfer list

First published in U's News
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

Oxford United’s players have been given no assurances they will be in the side next season, but Gary Waddock has not transfer-listed anyone under contract.

During a desperately disappointing finish to the campaign, which saw the U’s drop out of the Sky Bet League Two play-off places, the head coach suggested nobody was safe this summer.

Following a home defeat to Accrington Stanley last month, he said: “Big decisions need to be made and they certainly will be.”

Deane Smalley, Sean Rigg and Scott Davies, whose contracts expired at the end of the season, were released last week.

Loan trio Ryan Williams, Nicky Wroe and David Connolly have returned to their parent clubs, while James Constable and Tom Newey are considering contract offers.

For the moment no-one else is likely to leave, with those remaining at the club told they will be given the chance to claim a place in the team during pre-season.

Waddock said: “I’ve spoken to the players who are under contract.

“When they come back in they have to earn the right.”

The U’s boss has been busy chasing targets to improve the squad since the season finished, but is not actively looking to free up more room in the squad by making players available for transfer.

“There’s no point in doing that,” he said.

“There’s a good group of people here.

“The one thing I did say is there’s no guarantee they will be starting in that first team – that goes across the board.

“The ones I’ve moved out are out of contract and they’ve gone.

“Players that don’t figure in the early part of the season will have to make their minds up.”

Waddock also confirmed Jake Wright will remain United captain after the club activated a clause in the defender’s contract which extends his stay for another 12 months.

He said: “We’ve had a number of conversations since I’ve been here and he’s been good within the dressing room.

“His form wants to be better than it has been and he’s had injuries through the course of the season.

“He needs a breather just like all the other players do.”

Latest United news:

'The Hobanator' relishing return to England with Oxford United

Oxford Mail:

9:20am Friday 21st November 2014

NOT many players would pick Sky Bet League Two over the Champions League, but Patrick Hoban is relishing the prospect of a second crack at playing football in England.

Oxford United sign Irish striker Hoban but he can't play until January

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 21st November 2014

Patrick Hoban has put pen to paper at Oxford United, but will have to watch for six weeks before his debut.

Dunkley ready to battle for place in Oxford United's side

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 21st November 2014

CHEY Dunkley is unfazed about the prospect of battling with three more experienced centre halves to get into the Oxford United side.

Sam Long's Oxford United future not in doubt despite loan - Appleton

Oxford Mail:

8:20am Friday 21st November 2014

SAM Long remains in Oxford United’s long-term plans, according to head coach Michael Appleton.

Rigg's Oxford United reunion ruled out by suspension

Oxford Mail:

8:20am Friday 21st November 2014

OXFORD United will not have to worry about Sean Rigg returning to haunt them tomorrow after the AFC Wimbledon winger was hit by a ban.

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree