Oxford United 0 Torquay United 0

First published in Match Reports 2012-13 Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

AN improved Oxford United were unable to punish a poor Torquay United side as a host of chances went begging in a goalless draw.

The majority of openings came in a dominant second half for the home side, when the Gulls had to defend desperately.

James Constable missed arguably the best chances at either end of the game.

Sean Rigg also had multiple efforts, while Andy Whing had one header cleared off the line late on.

The performance was significantly better than in midweek, but United will be disappointed to take just a single point from back-to-back home games.

Liam Davis came into the side at the expense of Tony Capaldi for his first start of the season as one of three changes to the U's side.

Johnny Mullins and Simon Heslop were also drafted in, with Michael Raynes and Adam Chapman dropping to the bench.

United were determined to make a better start than in Tuesday's 3-2 defeat to Dagenham & Redbridge and they had a great chance to open the scoring in only the second minute.

Tom Craddock slipped a ball into James Constable, but Martin Rice twice denied the striker.

United retained the ball and when a cross came in Sean Rigg headed straight at Torquay's stand-in goalkeeper.

The visitors, who had lost their last three away games in npower League Two, looked low on confidence and struggled to keep the ball.

As the half wore on the U's attacking threat diminished.

Their brightest moments all came down the left flank through Sean Rigg, while on the opposite wing Heslop was unable to make an impact.

At the other end United, with Mullins returning to the back four, looked untroubled.

Kevin Nicholson and Nathan Craig fired free-kicks just wide, but it took the Gulls 44 minutes to test United goalkeeper Ryan Clarke.

It came from Billy Bodin, who cut on to his left foot and let fly from 20 yards, forcing Clarke to turn the ball round the post.

Jon-Paul Pittman, on for Craddock at the break, nearly opened the scoring within three minutes of the restart.

The forward spun his marker superbly, only to lash the ball over the crossbar from just inside the box.

It was the catalyst for the game to improve markedly.

Ryan Jarvis had the ball in the net with a firm header on 53 minutes but the offside flag cut short Torquay's celebrations.

United responded with an incisive spell which brought the home fans to life.

Constable fizzed a shot narrowly over and Rigg twice fired just wide.

The winger's second chance was by far the clearer after Pittman had laid off Andy Whing's cross, but with the goal gaping Rigg missed the target.

With 20 minutes remaining Heslop and Pittman combined to set up Constable, whose shot was tipped over by Rice.

Constable should have broken the deadlock seven minutes from time. The striker turned brilliantly, but shot over the bar with his left foot from less than ten yards.

United poured forward in the final stages, battering Torquay's defence.

The referee waved away a penalty claim when James Constable was barged over, while Whing had a header cleared off the line by Craig Easton.

It was the final clear chance for United, who had to settle for only a point.

Oxford Utd (4-4-2): Clarke, Whing, Mullins, Wright, Davis, Heslop (Chapman 81), Cox, Leven, Rigg, Constable, Craddock (Pittman ht).

Unused subs: Brown, Raynes, Capaldi, Forster-Caskey, Marsh.

Torquay Utd (4-5-1): Rice, Oastler, Saah, Downes, Nicholson, Mansell, Lathrope (Yeoman 75), Easton, Craig, Bodin, Jarvis (N Thompson 68).

Unused subs: Leadbitter, Halpin, Cruise, MacKenzie, C Thompson.

Referee: Robert Madley.

Attendance: 5,773 (259 visitors).

Comments (30)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:30pm Sat 10 Nov 12

oldun says...

We must avoid these knee jerk reactions regarding one game - judge things on the season to date - not just one game
We must avoid these knee jerk reactions regarding one game - judge things on the season to date - not just one game oldun
  • Score: -1

8:06pm Sat 10 Nov 12

northampton yellow says...

well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "
well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES " northampton yellow
  • Score: 2

8:12pm Sat 10 Nov 12

oldun says...

17th - must win our next match in order to rise maybe three places
17th - must win our next match in order to rise maybe three places oldun
  • Score: 0

9:11pm Sat 10 Nov 12

www.oxford.vitalfootball.co.uk says...

If we had not lost 6 in a row back in September this result might be seen as ok. 1 point from a play off chasing team is ok. Looking back we thought losing 3-2 against the daggers was a disaster, they beat Rotherham 5-0 today!!
We are not miles off the pace so lets remain positive. We kept a clean sheet and created good chances. To be fair we were the team more likely to win the match today. I'm upset we are not higher up the table but lets see where we are in a few weeks.
If we had not lost 6 in a row back in September this result might be seen as ok. 1 point from a play off chasing team is ok. Looking back we thought losing 3-2 against the daggers was a disaster, they beat Rotherham 5-0 today!! We are not miles off the pace so lets remain positive. We kept a clean sheet and created good chances. To be fair we were the team more likely to win the match today. I'm upset we are not higher up the table but lets see where we are in a few weeks. www.oxford.vitalfootball.co.uk
  • Score: -2

9:12pm Sat 10 Nov 12

RADIOFAN says...

Mullins is not my player. He could be called back at anytime. Chris Wilder post match interview. Dag + Red 5 Rotherham 0. Someone please tell me that im adding two and two and making five.
Mullins is not my player. He could be called back at anytime. Chris Wilder post match interview. Dag + Red 5 Rotherham 0. Someone please tell me that im adding two and two and making five. RADIOFAN
  • Score: 0

9:17pm Sat 10 Nov 12

oldun says...

Already lost 9 - third place has lost just 3 . Massive turnaround needed to rise 14 places - yep it is possible - Ian Greaves style in 1980-81 - when United's fortunes changed overnight
Already lost 9 - third place has lost just 3 . Massive turnaround needed to rise 14 places - yep it is possible - Ian Greaves style in 1980-81 - when United's fortunes changed overnight oldun
  • Score: 1

11:58pm Sat 10 Nov 12

greengarden says...

northampton yellow wrote:
well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "
Guys you need to understand..... The club has no money and there is no investment coming from the owners - now or in the future . Mr Wilder is the best we will get so let's get behind him.

It really is wake up and smell the coffee time, Mr Leneghan will NOT throw any more money at this project, don't you all understand the real reasons why Kelvin walked away and left or are you all blinkered??

I read all the postings with amazement eg Wilder out etc, maybe its right but the club is financially screwed, and this is best we can get. We all know what the club is paying Mr Kassam per annum from the lease? He would be more than happy to see the club default and redevelop the area.

I for one are right behind Mr Wilder because I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates.

I suggest questions directly to the board are far more appropriate as opposed to this constant Wilder out chant
[quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "[/p][/quote]Guys you need to understand..... The club has no money and there is no investment coming from the owners - now or in the future . Mr Wilder is the best we will get so let's get behind him. It really is wake up and smell the coffee time, Mr Leneghan will NOT throw any more money at this project, don't you all understand the real reasons why Kelvin walked away and left or are you all blinkered?? I read all the postings with amazement eg Wilder out etc, maybe its right but the club is financially screwed, and this is best we can get. We all know what the club is paying Mr Kassam per annum from the lease? He would be more than happy to see the club default and redevelop the area. I for one are right behind Mr Wilder because I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates. I suggest questions directly to the board are far more appropriate as opposed to this constant Wilder out chant greengarden
  • Score: 5

5:48am Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

"This is best we can get" - no no no Many little clubs with diddly squat (even though they have no rent to pay) seem to be getting much better results without having a Bob Paisley . Yes I have never managed a football club but it is definitely not rocket science- is it . This division has 16 more successful managers - most of them of little cash strapped clubs. Second rate candidates - yes please - an improvement on 2012 at OUFC - isn't it!
"This is best we can get" - no no no Many little clubs with diddly squat (even though they have no rent to pay) seem to be getting much better results without having a Bob Paisley . Yes I have never managed a football club but it is definitely not rocket science- is it . This division has 16 more successful managers - most of them of little cash strapped clubs. Second rate candidates - yes please - an improvement on 2012 at OUFC - isn't it! oldun
  • Score: -4

8:31am Sun 11 Nov 12

Flipmode says...

Raaarrrrrrrgh
Raaarrrrrrrgh Flipmode
  • Score: 1

8:31am Sun 11 Nov 12

Brenda Jackson says...

greengarden wrote:
northampton yellow wrote: well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "
Guys you need to understand..... The club has no money and there is no investment coming from the owners - now or in the future . Mr Wilder is the best we will get so let's get behind him. It really is wake up and smell the coffee time, Mr Leneghan will NOT throw any more money at this project, don't you all understand the real reasons why Kelvin walked away and left or are you all blinkered?? I read all the postings with amazement eg Wilder out etc, maybe its right but the club is financially screwed, and this is best we can get. We all know what the club is paying Mr Kassam per annum from the lease? He would be more than happy to see the club default and redevelop the area. I for one are right behind Mr Wilder because I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates. I suggest questions directly to the board are far more appropriate as opposed to this constant Wilder out chant
gg - Gee- YOU need to understand the owners HAVE invested and invested for an auto-matic promotion place.
IF you 'Know the reasons' why KT walked away -spill them beans, and stop sniffing them!!
'' I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates'' Really? What makes you so certain? Bravado? B*llsh*t? 'Inside information? The onus is on the Owner/Chairman getting a successful team on the pitch- It's very much in his interest! Interesting you are keen to put responsibility on the Supporters, you're not one then i take it?! How do you think those who spend a significant chunk of their income supporting the Club will feel being told to expect second best? Or 'The 12th man fund' Or, those who organise events such as 'Ultimate supporters day'?? Is mediocrity their only hope? If so, the Owner should be very very concerned. I am.
[quote][p][bold]greengarden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "[/p][/quote]Guys you need to understand..... The club has no money and there is no investment coming from the owners - now or in the future . Mr Wilder is the best we will get so let's get behind him. It really is wake up and smell the coffee time, Mr Leneghan will NOT throw any more money at this project, don't you all understand the real reasons why Kelvin walked away and left or are you all blinkered?? I read all the postings with amazement eg Wilder out etc, maybe its right but the club is financially screwed, and this is best we can get. We all know what the club is paying Mr Kassam per annum from the lease? He would be more than happy to see the club default and redevelop the area. I for one are right behind Mr Wilder because I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates. I suggest questions directly to the board are far more appropriate as opposed to this constant Wilder out chant[/p][/quote]gg - Gee- YOU need to understand the owners HAVE invested and invested for an auto-matic promotion place. IF you 'Know the reasons' why KT walked away -spill them beans, and stop sniffing them!! '' I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates'' Really? What makes you so certain? Bravado? B*llsh*t? 'Inside information? The onus is on the Owner/Chairman getting a successful team on the pitch- It's very much in his interest! Interesting you are keen to put responsibility on the Supporters, you're not one then i take it?! How do you think those who spend a significant chunk of their income supporting the Club will feel being told to expect second best? Or 'The 12th man fund' Or, those who organise events such as 'Ultimate supporters day'?? Is mediocrity their only hope? If so, the Owner should be very very concerned. I am. Brenda Jackson
  • Score: -3

9:16am Sun 11 Nov 12

A Scroat says...

Brenda Jackson wrote:
greengarden wrote:
northampton yellow wrote: well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "
Guys you need to understand..... The club has no money and there is no investment coming from the owners - now or in the future . Mr Wilder is the best we will get so let's get behind him. It really is wake up and smell the coffee time, Mr Leneghan will NOT throw any more money at this project, don't you all understand the real reasons why Kelvin walked away and left or are you all blinkered?? I read all the postings with amazement eg Wilder out etc, maybe its right but the club is financially screwed, and this is best we can get. We all know what the club is paying Mr Kassam per annum from the lease? He would be more than happy to see the club default and redevelop the area. I for one are right behind Mr Wilder because I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates. I suggest questions directly to the board are far more appropriate as opposed to this constant Wilder out chant
gg - Gee- YOU need to understand the owners HAVE invested and invested for an auto-matic promotion place.
IF you 'Know the reasons' why KT walked away -spill them beans, and stop sniffing them!!
'' I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates'' Really? What makes you so certain? Bravado? B*llsh*t? 'Inside information? The onus is on the Owner/Chairman getting a successful team on the pitch- It's very much in his interest! Interesting you are keen to put responsibility on the Supporters, you're not one then i take it?! How do you think those who spend a significant chunk of their income supporting the Club will feel being told to expect second best? Or 'The 12th man fund' Or, those who organise events such as 'Ultimate supporters day'?? Is mediocrity their only hope? If so, the Owner should be very very concerned. I am.
Good shout Brenda. Surely we can find a striker who is better than the Conference standard ones we have? Quite a boring game that some see as a success.
[quote][p][bold]Brenda Jackson[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]greengarden[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]northampton yellow[/bold] wrote: well mr wilder the train departs soon best you book your ticket and depart oxford " SHAMBLES "[/p][/quote]Guys you need to understand..... The club has no money and there is no investment coming from the owners - now or in the future . Mr Wilder is the best we will get so let's get behind him. It really is wake up and smell the coffee time, Mr Leneghan will NOT throw any more money at this project, don't you all understand the real reasons why Kelvin walked away and left or are you all blinkered?? I read all the postings with amazement eg Wilder out etc, maybe its right but the club is financially screwed, and this is best we can get. We all know what the club is paying Mr Kassam per annum from the lease? He would be more than happy to see the club default and redevelop the area. I for one are right behind Mr Wilder because I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates. I suggest questions directly to the board are far more appropriate as opposed to this constant Wilder out chant[/p][/quote]gg - Gee- YOU need to understand the owners HAVE invested and invested for an auto-matic promotion place. IF you 'Know the reasons' why KT walked away -spill them beans, and stop sniffing them!! '' I know without him we will only attract second rate candidates'' Really? What makes you so certain? Bravado? B*llsh*t? 'Inside information? The onus is on the Owner/Chairman getting a successful team on the pitch- It's very much in his interest! Interesting you are keen to put responsibility on the Supporters, you're not one then i take it?! How do you think those who spend a significant chunk of their income supporting the Club will feel being told to expect second best? Or 'The 12th man fund' Or, those who organise events such as 'Ultimate supporters day'?? Is mediocrity their only hope? If so, the Owner should be very very concerned. I am.[/p][/quote]Good shout Brenda. Surely we can find a striker who is better than the Conference standard ones we have? Quite a boring game that some see as a success. A Scroat
  • Score: -1

9:49am Sun 11 Nov 12

winger whitley says...

Usual hysteria from the Wilder’s whingers. Only a couple of reasoned comments. To reinforce, it’s too easy to blame the manager. Did he miss those sitters yesterday? And please don’t bleat on that he brought those players into the club. Or try to tell those that actually understand the game that 4-4-2 will solve all the problems. Nothings ever that clear cut. This league is wide open, even the most ardent of Wilder hater must accept that the six defeats on the bounce was the issue here and that there were many injuries throughout. that period. The form since that slump compares with (as one correspondent disrespectfully insists on calling small clubs, village) a village club like Fleetwood’s (5th in the league) has only accrued 11 points from 8 games. Oxford’s exactly the same, 11 from 8. Torquay were a poor side, but they’ve been in or around the top end most of the season. Calm down chaps, this league is still any bodies.
Usual hysteria from the Wilder’s whingers. Only a couple of reasoned comments. To reinforce, it’s too easy to blame the manager. Did he miss those sitters yesterday? And please don’t bleat on that he brought those players into the club. Or try to tell those that actually understand the game that 4-4-2 will solve all the problems. Nothings ever that clear cut. This league is wide open, even the most ardent of Wilder hater must accept that the six defeats on the bounce was the issue here and that there were many injuries throughout. that period. The form since that slump compares with (as one correspondent disrespectfully insists on calling small clubs, village) a village club like Fleetwood’s (5th in the league) has only accrued 11 points from 8 games. Oxford’s exactly the same, 11 from 8. Torquay were a poor side, but they’ve been in or around the top end most of the season. Calm down chaps, this league is still any bodies. winger whitley
  • Score: -3

9:51am Sun 11 Nov 12

jbowling says...

Green Garden,

I don't know how old you are mate but please don't go through life accepting second best. Mediocrity is never acceptable.
Green Garden, I don't know how old you are mate but please don't go through life accepting second best. Mediocrity is never acceptable. jbowling
  • Score: 0

10:40am Sun 11 Nov 12

Brenda Jackson says...



''Wilders whingers' They are his, are they? #

The 'blame' put on the manager is for the season so far, not just the last one or two matches- matches at home, that have yielded a magnificent ONE point out of a possible six btw!! And yesterday can only have added to the growing number of DWINDLING supporters fed up paying top dollar for third rate fare.
It's pretty evident that oufc are heading for a mid-table finish -at best this season. And the falling attendances will mean less in the pot for new recruits next season- the Chairman needs to consider this, and the consequences of.
[ Usual hysteria from the Wilder’s whingers. Only a couple of reasoned comments. To reinforce, it’s too easy to blame the manager. Did he miss those sitters yesterday?] ''Wilders whingers' They are his, are they? # The 'blame' put on the manager is for the season so far, not just the last one or two matches- matches at home, that have yielded a magnificent ONE point out of a possible six btw!! And yesterday can only have added to the growing number of DWINDLING supporters fed up paying top dollar for third rate fare. It's pretty evident that oufc are heading for a mid-table finish -at best this season. And the falling attendances will mean less in the pot for new recruits next season- the Chairman needs to consider this, and the consequences of. Brenda Jackson
  • Score: -6

11:02am Sun 11 Nov 12

winger whitley says...

Brenda, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re missing my point. Of course 1 point from 2 homes games is poor in the extreme. But over the last 8 games our points tally is exactly the same as a team in the play-offs (Fleetwood) My point is that our form merely mirrors most teams, apart from the top couple. It's wide open!
Brenda, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re missing my point. Of course 1 point from 2 homes games is poor in the extreme. But over the last 8 games our points tally is exactly the same as a team in the play-offs (Fleetwood) My point is that our form merely mirrors most teams, apart from the top couple. It's wide open! winger whitley
  • Score: -2

11:10am Sun 11 Nov 12

RADIOFAN says...

Who gave the money to bring Dulberry, Leven, Smalley ito the club last season. All from a higher level. They didnt take pay cuts to come to Oxford you know. They also brought in Davis,Pittman etc plus the loans of Cole, Holmes, Johnson, Morgan. This season Wilder has been given the money to bring in Rigg plus the loans of Casey, Cox, Botang, Obrain etc. The fact at they we are also at the ceiling of our wage cap speaks volumes at the chairman s investment. Sorry but mr Lennigan isnt the problem here.
Who gave the money to bring Dulberry, Leven, Smalley ito the club last season. All from a higher level. They didnt take pay cuts to come to Oxford you know. They also brought in Davis,Pittman etc plus the loans of Cole, Holmes, Johnson, Morgan. This season Wilder has been given the money to bring in Rigg plus the loans of Casey, Cox, Botang, Obrain etc. The fact at they we are also at the ceiling of our wage cap speaks volumes at the chairman s investment. Sorry but mr Lennigan isnt the problem here. RADIOFAN
  • Score: 0

12:23pm Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

winger whitley wrote:
Brenda, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re missing my point. Of course 1 point from 2 homes games is poor in the extreme. But over the last 8 games our points tally is exactly the same as a team in the play-offs (Fleetwood) My point is that our form merely mirrors most teams, apart from the top couple. It's wide open!
We have another resident spin doctor - those last 8 League matches include 5 at home - our last four home league games have yielded 5 points and our last four away just three points (at a team in near free fall) - eight points from 8 games - at that rate we will hardly rise above 17th!! We are struggling - even in the past 8 League games !! Even if you include 5 home and 3 away - you got just 11 points from 8 games - Fleetwood might fall to reach us but the others won't. Bottom line our form will not get us anywhere nest 7th - let alone 3rd - you must see that. COYY
[quote][p][bold]winger whitley[/bold] wrote: Brenda, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re missing my point. Of course 1 point from 2 homes games is poor in the extreme. But over the last 8 games our points tally is exactly the same as a team in the play-offs (Fleetwood) My point is that our form merely mirrors most teams, apart from the top couple. It's wide open![/p][/quote]We have another resident spin doctor - those last 8 League matches include 5 at home - our last four home league games have yielded 5 points and our last four away just three points (at a team in near free fall) - eight points from 8 games - at that rate we will hardly rise above 17th!! We are struggling - even in the past 8 League games !! Even if you include 5 home and 3 away - you got just 11 points from 8 games - Fleetwood might fall to reach us but the others won't. Bottom line our form will not get us anywhere nest 7th - let alone 3rd - you must see that. COYY oldun
  • Score: 0

12:23pm Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

winger whitley wrote:
Brenda, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re missing my point. Of course 1 point from 2 homes games is poor in the extreme. But over the last 8 games our points tally is exactly the same as a team in the play-offs (Fleetwood) My point is that our form merely mirrors most teams, apart from the top couple. It's wide open!
We have another resident spin doctor - those last 8 League matches include 5 at home - our last four home league games have yielded 5 points and our last four away just three points (at a team in near free fall) - eight points from 8 games - at that rate we will hardly rise above 17th!! We are struggling - even in the past 8 League games !! Even if you include 5 home and 3 away - you got just 11 points from 8 games - Fleetwood might fall to reach us but the others won't. Bottom line our form will not get us anywhere nest 7th - let alone 3rd - you must see that. COYY
[quote][p][bold]winger whitley[/bold] wrote: Brenda, if you don’t mind me saying, you’re missing my point. Of course 1 point from 2 homes games is poor in the extreme. But over the last 8 games our points tally is exactly the same as a team in the play-offs (Fleetwood) My point is that our form merely mirrors most teams, apart from the top couple. It's wide open![/p][/quote]We have another resident spin doctor - those last 8 League matches include 5 at home - our last four home league games have yielded 5 points and our last four away just three points (at a team in near free fall) - eight points from 8 games - at that rate we will hardly rise above 17th!! We are struggling - even in the past 8 League games !! Even if you include 5 home and 3 away - you got just 11 points from 8 games - Fleetwood might fall to reach us but the others won't. Bottom line our form will not get us anywhere nest 7th - let alone 3rd - you must see that. COYY oldun
  • Score: 0

12:40pm Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

You know what I mean by 'village clubs' - the Torquays, Rochdales, Dagenhams , Wycombes etc etc etc - not the Plymouths, Bristol Rovers, Bradfords, Swindons, Lutons or Millwalls of this world . Don't you remember when we played on a regular basis clubs like Huddy, Leicester, Bristol City , Sheff U Brighton , Charlton - and on many occasions much much much bigger clubs than Leicester . For far too long (since about 2000) we had setteled for third best - please let us have better - no more village club oppo - going into the third tier would help
You know what I mean by 'village clubs' - the Torquays, Rochdales, Dagenhams , Wycombes etc etc etc - not the Plymouths, Bristol Rovers, Bradfords, Swindons, Lutons or Millwalls of this world . Don't you remember when we played on a regular basis clubs like Huddy, Leicester, Bristol City , Sheff U Brighton , Charlton - and on many occasions much much much bigger clubs than Leicester . For far too long (since about 2000) we had setteled for third best - please let us have better - no more village club oppo - going into the third tier would help oldun
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Sun 11 Nov 12

winger whitley says...

O course I'm spinning, just as the old boy is using figures to suit his own argument. My point is the league is so wide open and no one can argue with that. Average 1.8 points per game and it's a play off place. You're expectations are impairing your judgement!
O course I'm spinning, just as the old boy is using figures to suit his own argument. My point is the league is so wide open and no one can argue with that. Average 1.8 points per game and it's a play off place. You're expectations are impairing your judgement! winger whitley
  • Score: -1

1:46pm Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

winger whitley wrote:
O course I'm spinning, just as the old boy is using figures to suit his own argument. My point is the league is so wide open and no one can argue with that. Average 1.8 points per game and it's a play off place. You're expectations are impairing your judgement!
Since our first three matches - name any three consecutive league matches in which we have averaged 1.8 points a game - win and two draws is under that average. Dream on . We have taken just 11 points from our last 9 games (and only four of those were away matches) Name the spell (after the first three matches) when we got as much as 1.8 - wherever you got that from - it's all gone quiet
[quote][p][bold]winger whitley[/bold] wrote: O course I'm spinning, just as the old boy is using figures to suit his own argument. My point is the league is so wide open and no one can argue with that. Average 1.8 points per game and it's a play off place. You're expectations are impairing your judgement![/p][/quote]Since our first three matches - name any three consecutive league matches in which we have averaged 1.8 points a game - win and two draws is under that average. Dream on . We have taken just 11 points from our last 9 games (and only four of those were away matches) Name the spell (after the first three matches) when we got as much as 1.8 - wherever you got that from - it's all gone quiet oldun
  • Score: 1

1:55pm Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

Many apologies - our golden spell Accrington , Rochdale and Wycombe got us 6 points from 3 consec games - back to that brilliance please United
Many apologies - our golden spell Accrington , Rochdale and Wycombe got us 6 points from 3 consec games - back to that brilliance please United oldun
  • Score: 1

2:05pm Sun 11 Nov 12

winger whitley says...

Well I'll have a level tenner with the old boy that my optimistic prediction will be more accurate the you're we're all doomed scenario. Exchange the money at a pub of your choice.
Well I'll have a level tenner with the old boy that my optimistic prediction will be more accurate the you're we're all doomed scenario. Exchange the money at a pub of your choice. winger whitley
  • Score: -1

2:40pm Sun 11 Nov 12

oldun says...

I predict that we will not even make the play offs . Not betting - too unfair to far far too optimistic you I will DONATE £20 to your chosen registered charity if I am wrong . What's your registered charity? . I firmly believe that we will be in the fourth tier next season . Only chance of avoiding it is if we start playing so so so much better and sneak through the lottery of the play offs (as we did in 2010) . I will donate £100 to the registered charity of your choice if we are in the third tier. next season. What's the charity for my donation?
I predict that we will not even make the play offs . Not betting - too unfair to far far too optimistic you I will DONATE £20 to your chosen registered charity if I am wrong . What's your registered charity? . I firmly believe that we will be in the fourth tier next season . Only chance of avoiding it is if we start playing so so so much better and sneak through the lottery of the play offs (as we did in 2010) . I will donate £100 to the registered charity of your choice if we are in the third tier. next season. What's the charity for my donation? oldun
  • Score: -1

9:04pm Sun 11 Nov 12

dorsetyellows says...

Better quality required in front of goal . One of our midfielders just was not up for it yesterday , why? . Too many poor passes ! First half our tempo was too slow and good sides will punish us why ? But we were still the better team on the day and yes we never delivered !!! That's why we are where we are right now and yes going no where quick . Direction required from our new chairman sooner the better , the club can achieve much more and the fans have been very patient ,
Better quality required in front of goal . One of our midfielders just was not up for it yesterday , why? . Too many poor passes ! First half our tempo was too slow and good sides will punish us why ? But we were still the better team on the day and yes we never delivered !!! That's why we are where we are right now and yes going no where quick . Direction required from our new chairman sooner the better , the club can achieve much more and the fans have been very patient , dorsetyellows
  • Score: 1

7:08am Mon 12 Nov 12

adlibber says...

it's not our glorious leader Wilder's fault it's all a conspiracy that began with freakish weather and is cursing us still. The gates are falling because its getting colder and the players don't like playing in this weather either. Seriously how anyone can defend wilder and only half blind optimists can dream up an extraordinary excuse for our defeat against Dag&Red by boasting that they have since gone on and beat Rotherham 5-0!

Mid Term Mediocrity or Relegation Battle in what is a terrible terrible league. wear your badge with pride.
it's not our glorious leader Wilder's fault it's all a conspiracy that began with freakish weather and is cursing us still. The gates are falling because its getting colder and the players don't like playing in this weather either. Seriously how anyone can defend wilder and only half blind optimists can dream up an extraordinary excuse for our defeat against Dag&Red by boasting that they have since gone on and beat Rotherham 5-0! Mid Term Mediocrity or Relegation Battle in what is a terrible terrible league. wear your badge with pride. adlibber
  • Score: -1

1:54pm Mon 12 Nov 12

Beau champ mummy says...

More rubbish wilder and lenagan get out
More rubbish wilder and lenagan get out Beau champ mummy
  • Score: 1

12:07pm Thu 15 Nov 12

goridebus says...

Oldun - as a Torquay fan I somewhat object to your description of us as a "village club". The population of Torbay is 134,000, as opposed to Oxford's 151,000. I think we are hardly a village.
Oldun - as a Torquay fan I somewhat object to your description of us as a "village club". The population of Torbay is 134,000, as opposed to Oxford's 151,000. I think we are hardly a village. goridebus
  • Score: 0

12:44pm Thu 15 Nov 12

oldun says...

goridebus wrote:
Oldun - as a Torquay fan I somewhat object to your description of us as a "village club". The population of Torbay is 134,000, as opposed to Oxford's 151,000. I think we are hardly a village.
You know full well what I meant with the term village club (regularly used by many about clubs of fourth division size) With your massive population , why have you in 40 years rarely averaged more than 3500 - and never never over 5000. You are a village club - even if you (with your liberal view of the relative populations - must start including Kidlington, Abingdon etc) say that you population is close to ours. Stick with Basil Fawlty, Anthea Redfearn and retirees - a lovely town
[quote][p][bold]goridebus[/bold] wrote: Oldun - as a Torquay fan I somewhat object to your description of us as a "village club". The population of Torbay is 134,000, as opposed to Oxford's 151,000. I think we are hardly a village.[/p][/quote]You know full well what I meant with the term village club (regularly used by many about clubs of fourth division size) With your massive population , why have you in 40 years rarely averaged more than 3500 - and never never over 5000. You are a village club - even if you (with your liberal view of the relative populations - must start including Kidlington, Abingdon etc) say that you population is close to ours. Stick with Basil Fawlty, Anthea Redfearn and retirees - a lovely town oldun
  • Score: 0

12:48pm Thu 15 Nov 12

oldun says...

Goridebus - is that the bus which brings up your fans? . Your club has done brilliantly for such a small one. You may call it condescension - I call it respect - we are the ones who have not deserved respect over much of the past 15 plus years
Goridebus - is that the bus which brings up your fans? . Your club has done brilliantly for such a small one. You may call it condescension - I call it respect - we are the ones who have not deserved respect over much of the past 15 plus years oldun
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree