OXFORD United were undone by first-half strikes from David Davis and Che Adams as Birmingham City won a pre-season friendly at the Kassam Stadium.

The visitors' clinical streak in the final third proved the difference between the sides, as Harry Redknapp's men took their two clearest chances of the game.

United had the lion's share of the scoring opportunities, but both goalkeeper David Stockdale, and his half-time replacement Tomasz Kuszczak, made several smart saves to keep the hosts at bay.

New signings Xemi and Dwight Tiendalli were in the squad for the first time, but it was another substitute which caused a stir before the game.

Swansea City's Netherlands international Luciano Narsingh was named on the teamsheet, but the club later corrected to his brother Furdjel.

Rob Hall had laid on two goals in Wednesday's 4-3 defeat to Brentford and the winger had the first effort on goal, a fourth-minute free-kick which was saved by Stockdale.

As steady rain grew heavier, City scored from their first sight of goal.

There was an element of fortune in the way Adams stuck out a boot to send the ball through Curtis Nelson's legs, but it was perfect for Davis to break through and round Scott Shearer before tapping into the open goal.

United brushed off the setback and created several good opportunities.

An incisive pass from Josh Ruffels picked out Hall, who cut into the box and beat a defender, forcing a smart save from Stockdale with a low shot.

The City stopper made another important stop shortly afterwards.

A corner found Marvin Johnson lurking outside the box and his wicked cross was steered goalwards by Wes Thomas. Unfortunately it was straight at Stockdale, who blocked.

Seconds later the striker had another effort against his former club, but he could not keep his header down from Hall's excellent cross.

A similar chance was nodded over at the other end by Cheikh Ndoye.

It was a rare foray forward from City, but they showed a ruthless edge again just before the half-hour mark.

Lukas Jutkiewicz slid a pass into Adams's path and the forward coolly steered the ball into the far corner of the net from 15 yards.

The visitors went on to have their best spell, controlling the game with long spells of possession.

United did not threaten until nine minutes after the break, when Hall come within a whisker of a spectacular goal.

The winger hammered a shot from 30 yards which beat Kuszczak but rattled the underside of the crossbar, bouncing down and into the substitute goalkeeper's arms.

The nearly moments kept coming for the hosts, who gave debuts to Xemi, Tiendalli and Narsingh.

With triallist Raheem Hanley also on at left back, Johnson was freed to play further forward.

He caused Birmingham problems and whipped in two dangerous crosses which just evaded teammates.

Shearer had little to do after the break and United kept pushing as the game reached the closing stages.

Johnson forced Kuszczak into a routine save with a low strike from 20 yards, before the goalkeeper made another smart stop nine minutes from time.

Narsingh did well wide on the right and his low cross was met by Obika, whose flick was blocked by the Poland international at his near post.

Shearer had to be alert late on, making a fine save to turn Ravel Morrison's low drive round his left post in what was the game's final opportunity.

Oxford Utd: Shearer, Carroll (Tiendalli 64), Nelson, Raglan, Johnson, Hall, Ledson (Xemi HT), Ruffels, Rothwell (Hanley HT), Henry (Narsingh 64), Thomas (Obika 64).

Unused subs: Stevens, Ribeiro, Martin Baptiste, Roberts, Napa, Kelleher, Smile.

Birmingham C: Stockdale (Kuszczak HT), Nsue (Shotton HT), Grounds (Afonso HT), M Morrison, Roberts, Davis, Gardner (Kieftenbeld HT), Ndoye (Gleeson 64), Jutkiewicz, Adams (R Morrison HT), Maghoma (Slavchev HT).

Referee: Anthony Coggins (Oxfordshire).

Attendance: 3,507 (1,414 visitors).