Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Fresh faces still in line to boost Oxford United's firepower
Despite the lack of a permanent manager, Oxford United will still attempt to bring in extra firepower before the transfer window closes.
Chris Wilder made it clear last week he felt the squad needed freshening up, with new strikers top of his wish-list.
Nothing happened before the weekend, but there remains a hope fresh blood could be brought in before the window shuts on Friday.
It is believed a lack of transfer activity this month was partly responsible for Wilder’s departure, but U’s chairman Ian Lenagan said there is scope for signings.
He said: “I’ve put the money available for one or two more strikers, for example, if Chris felt that was what was necessary, as well as a midfielder.
“We were in the middle of that discussion and in fact I even on Friday was discussing with one of the Championship clubs one of the strikers that Chris was considering bringing in.”
He added: “Oxford are within spitting distance of promotion this year.
“We want that and if that means that we need a couple of extra players as well as Nicky Wroe then that authority has been given for the last four weeks to Chris and Andy Melville, who does a lot of the recruiting as well.
“He works with Chris very closely on agents and players because having played at the level he did, he knows many of the players that are involved. That will continue.”
Comments are closed on this article.