A STRONG second-half display went unrewarded for Oxford United Women, who lost 2-1 at home to Watford in Division 2.
The visitors exploited defensive mistakes to go in at the break 2-0 ahead at Northcourt Road, Abingdon.
Laura Low’s effort eight minutes into the second half inspired the U’s to come back into the game, but they were unable to force an equaliser as Watford held on for the victory.
The home side were on the back foot early on and fell behind in the 18th minute.
Stacey Donnelly capitalised on a breakdown in communication between Jemma Connor-Iommi and Amy Chivers to lob goalkeeper Demi Lambourne.
Falling behind stirred the U’s, but despite some brighter moments they were stung again on the stroke of half-time.
Watford broke quickly and although Lambourne saved the first effort, Jo Wilson slammed in the rebound.
United looked brighter when the game resumed and on 53 minutes they halved the deficit.
Low sliced through the defence and beat the Watford goalkeeper.
Louise Fellows, Lauren Allison and Katie Stanley all came close to an equaliser in the final half-hour, as the visitors clung on to take maximum points.
United: Lambourne, Connor-Iommi, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Alexander, Hines (Simmonds), King, Nutman, Pickett (Fellows), Stanley, Low (Allison).
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships
- Details announced for Oxford United's EFL Cup tie at Birmingham City
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio
- WEEKEND RESULTS June 25 & 26
- CRICKET: Samad Fallah takes seven as Oxford rout Gerrards Cross
- ATHLETICS: Ennis delighted to reach 200m final
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas