Oxford United Women were beaten 4-0 at home to FA Women’s Super League 1 leaders Notts County at Abingdon United last night.
Goals from Caitlin Friend, Jess Clarke and Aileen Whelan as well as an own goal gave the visitors victory, but United matched their opponents for large periods of the game.
Lone striker Lauren Allison missed a glorious chance to give Oxford the lead early on, shooting narrowly wide after being played in by Laura Low.
But it was Notts who gained the advantage midway through the first half when Friend nipped in front of goalkeeper Hannah Cox to meet a dangerous free-kick.
United almost responded immediately as Jemma Connor-Iommi’s powerful free-kick come back off a post.
And despite making a bright start to the second half the U’s soon found themselves further behind after a Notts corner was deflected in by a U’s defender after Sahara Osborne-Ricketts had attempted to clear it.
As United tired late in the game the visitors took full advantage, England international Clarke heading home a free-kick to make it 3-0.
And just moments later, they scored a fourth when Whelan arrived late at the back post to volley in.
Oxford had one final effort deep stoppage injury time as visiting goalkeeper Carly Telford was caught out by a speculative effort from Allison, but despite the ball having appeared to have crossed the line as she clawed it out, referee Sian Piret waved play on.
Oxford Utd Women: Cox, Hines, Osborne-Ricketts, Chivers, Allison, Picket (Nichol 45), King, Nutman (Lowder 82), Connor-Iommi, Lane, Low. Subs not used: Lambourne, Mobbs, Pinker.
Ref: S Piret.
Latest Sport news
- The derby games are great but it's not my problem, says Michael Appleton on Swindon Town's relegation
- Michael Appleton hails Oxford United's 'outstanding' display in victory over Millwall
- FOOTBALL: Jefferson Louis fires in-form Oxford City to third straight victory
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town and North Leigh enjoy final-day victories, but Banbury United, Wantage Town and Kidlington are beaten
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire hold on to win thriller against Cornwall
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith finishes just outside the points in Austin MotoGP
- WEEKEND RESULTS: April 22-23
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's win at Millwall
- Millwall 0, Oxford United 3 (McAleny 6 & 8, Ruffels 71)
- UPDATES - Millwall v Oxford United