Wantage Town boss Gary Ackling admits tonight’s FA Cup preliminary round tie at home to Kidlington is “a bit of a nightmare”.
The Southern League Division 1 side will be expected to beat their Hellenic League Premier Division rivals.
But Ackling says that with the form of the two teams, he is certain Kidlington will be confident of a shock.
“We have got everything to lose and nothing to gain,” he said. “It’s a bit of a nightmare match for us to be honest.
“We are not in good form, they are going well, so I have no doubt they’ll be looking at this as a really good chance to pull off a victory.”
Ackling will next week bid to extend the loan spells of Swindon Town duo Matt Jones and Curtis Da Costa, but will be without Ryan Millward, who is sidelined for a month with a groin injury.
Kidlington boss Martin Wilkinson hopes to have last season’s top scorer Tommy Castle back from injury.
Didcot Town travel to Beaconsfield SYCOB tonight with three players sidelined.
Ryan Brooks suffered a recurrence of his hamstring injury in Monday’s 3-0 win over Fleet and will be out of action for a month.
Jack Bernasconi is also injured, while Ben Whitehead is on holiday.
However, James Organ returns to the squad.
Joint manager Ian Concannon commented: “The FA Cup is crucial for non-league clubs because of the prize money on offer.
“The lads know the importance of the game.”
North Leigh manager Mark Gee knows his Southern League Division 1 outfit must avoid errors if they are to beat Hellenic League Premier Division high-fliers Flackwell Heath tomorrow.
“We have a full strength squad, but while we are looking a real threat going forward, we are making individual mistakes that are costing us dear,” he said.
“We have to cut them out because Flackwell are going well and will be a real threat.”
In tomorrow’s other games, Abingdon United entertain Egham Town, Milton United host Marlow and Shrivenham Town are at home to Shortwood United.
Didcot Tn (v Beaconsfield SYCOB, away): from Foster, Heapy, Organ, Baines, Carnell, Learoyd, Elkins, Clark, Mills, Self, McKirnan, A Williams, Abrahart.
North Leigh (v Flackwell Heath, home): from Bullman, Else, Hopkins, Turk, Gunn, Hole, Caton, A Woodley, McNish, Williams, Sanders, Osborne-Rickets, Westlake, Ingram, Bowler, M Woodley.
Wantage Tn (v Kidlington, home): from Farrow, Tucker, Sadler, Da Costa, Cattell, Steedman, Jones, Lachacz, Johns, Barder, Shaw, Melledew, Riccio, Roberts, Deabill, Guy.
Kidlington (v Wantage Tn, away): from Bawn, Sanders, C Weedon, B Weedon Blakely, Rice, Franklin, Cassettari, Castle, Coyle, Willoughby, Quainton, Rice, Brown-Porter, Curtin.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala
- ICE SKATING: Oxford skaters waltz off with medals at national championships