Banbury Utd 2
(Walcott pen 11, Murombedzi 82)
(Veal 1, Groves pen 32, Downing 47)
Banbury United stay bottom of the Southern League Premier Division after another defeat.
Both sides went into the game without a victory, but it is Edwin Stein’s side who set an unwanted club record of losing their opening five league games for the first time in their history, not helped by conceding a goal inside a minute.
Matt Wright headed Ian Sampson’s centre across goal and Craig Veal scored with just 55 seconds gone.
Banbury equalised ten minutes later when Shepherd Murombedzi was fouled in the box and Jacob Walcott scored from the spot.
But another penalty in the 32nd minute saw the visitors regain the lead, ex-Banbury player Richard Groves converting after debutant James Yeboah fouled Veal.
Bideford made it 3-1 two minutes into the second half when Sean Downing fired in a shot that keeper Josh Hill was unable to keep out.
Veal missed a great chance to make it 4-1, and was nearly made to pay when Murombedzi gave Banbury hope with eight minutes left.
But they were unable to level.
Banbury Utd: Hill, Westbrook, Maki (Obeng 40), Martin, Yeboah, Ryan, Murombedzi, Abrahams, Simpson (Walcott 7), Masri (Adekunle 54), Evangelinos. Subs not used: Green, Jackson.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- No distractions for Oxford United as Michael Appleton only has eyes on Northampton Town clash
- Oxford United to play it safe as John Lundstram must prove his fitness
- Josh Ruffels aims to grab big chance at Oxford United in Ryan Ledson's absence
- Teenager Canice Carroll earmarked for Oxford United role in final month
- Oxford United clash is 'huge' as Northampton Town seek to confirm safety from relegation
- CRICKET: Former Oxfordshire batsman Martyn Lloyd dies at 62
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City boss Mark Jones makes three new signings
- RUGBY UNION: National League 2 South promotion hopefuls Chinnor must 'knuckle down and focus' on Clifton clash, says Matt Williams
- FOOTBALL: In-form Banbury United eye sixth win in row to continue play-off push
- ROWING: Major boost for Dark Blues ahead of the Boat Race