Oxford City 0 Chorley 0 Oxford City extended their unbeaten start to three matches with a goalless draw at home to highly-fancied Chorley at Marsh Lane on Saturday.
With the hosts having had a player sent off in their opening two games, it was the visitors who finished the game a man down after Harry Winter was sent off for a professional foul on Felipe Barcelos.
The result saw City climb to eight in the table, having yet to concede a goal. Chorley started the stronger with Mark Scott in the City goal gathering a dangerous centre from Winter, before Tom Smyth fired well wide.
At the other end, Chorley keeper Sam Ashton made a terrific stop from a Darren Mullings shot.
Summer signing Lewis Wilson twice went close to opening his City account, only to have his efforts blocked.
City stayed on the front foot and were almost rewarded with the opener.
Tom Winters cut in from the right, only to see his curling shot clip the corner of a post before going clear.
As the half ended, Scott did well to get both hands to a Paul Jarvis strike at the second attempt.
City reasserted their pressure after the break, with a Winters free-kick put out for a corner with some difficulty by Ashton.
On 74 minutes, Chorley were reduced to ten men when Harry Winter was red-carded for a professional foul on substitute Barcelos.
But City were unable to take advantage of the extra man.
City continued to look the more dangerous side, but lacked a cutting edge in the final third.
Another Winters free-kick caused trouble in the area, while Spanish signing Jose Lapoujade went close.
City had a chance to win it late on when Ander Del Alamo whipped in a cross, but Winters could only head into the hands of Ashton.
However, the hosts were forced to settle for a point as their unbeaten run stretched to three matches.
Oxford City: Scott, Benjamin, Lapoujade, Malone (Afolabi 57), Santiago, Brown, Rodriguez, Mullings, Wilson (Barcelos 57) Del Alamo, T Winters. Subs not used: Stonehouse, Green.
Referee: T Bramall.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory against Bury
- Hat-trick hero Conor McAleny delighted to send Oxford United to Wembley on a high
- Oxford United fans breathe sigh of relief as goalkeeper Simon Eastwood plays on
- FOOTBALL: David Murphy's double puts Berinsfield in North Berks League Cup final
- FOOTBALL: Liam Godin hits four-timer as KEA reach Junior Shield final
- FOOTBALL: Olly Bush strikes a brace to lead Carterton into the last four
- FOOTBALL: Spot-on Jamie Cook seals dramatic win for North Leigh
- GIRLS FOOTBALL: Oxford City Under 13s clinch league title
- FOOTBALL: Harry Benfield guides Abingdon Youth to Under 15 KO Trophy glory
- FOOTBALL: Kyle Chester in top form as Carterton beat Didcot Town Youth Red