Didcot started their Southern League Division 1 South & West campaign with notable 2-0 victory against last season’s play-off contenders Swindon Supermarine.
While the game was evenly balanced, it was Didcot who began on the front foot.
John Mills had already shot narrowly wide, and then inches over the crossbar, before edging the Railwaymen in front on 19 minutes.
Sam Elkins and Matt Clark combined to release Mills in the penalty area and he made no mistake from 15 yards.
The visitors could have levelled immediately after the break, but Luke Hopper hesitated when presented with a clear opportunity and the danger was cleared.
It was a costly mistake as Didcot doubled the lead shortly afterwards.
Clark was again involved in the build-up,but the finish, from 25 yards by Ben Whitehead, was brilliant, giving ex-Didcot keeper Sam Warrell no chance.
In an exciting finish, Whitehead had an effort blocked on the line and James Organ shot narrowly wide for the hosts.
At the other end Ross Adams brought a finger-tip save out of James Foster.
And in stoppage time Swindon’s Ryan Stanners struck the post when it looked easier to score .
Didcot Tn: Foster, Heapy, Organ, Baines, Carnell, Learoyd, Elkins, Clark (Self 55), Mills, Williams, Whitehead (S Parish 88). Subs not used: Bernasconi, McKirnan, A Williams.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- UPDATES - Bolton Wanderers v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: The players are determined to show their fighting spirit
- Oxford United hoping Kane Hemmings can end unlucky goalscoring record at Bolton Wanderers
- Oxford United are unfazed by away record ahead of Bolton Wanderers trip, says skipper John Lundstram
- MOTOR RACING: Felipe Massa’s hoping rain gods take a break for Malaysian GP
- SWIMMING: Lilia Gilbert steals show with ten-medal haul for Didcot Barramundi
- SNOOKER & BILLIARDS: Jon Bishop's break of 45 guides Thame to victory
- BOXING: South Moreton's Gavin Lissenden defends Queensbury League title
- Simon Eastwood was always going to succeed with Oxford United, says defender Joe Skarz
- Bolton boss Phil Parkinson: We need to come out fighting against Oxford United