OXFORD United Women were humbled 5-1 by high-flying Doncaster Rovers Belles in their FA Women’s Super League 2 clash at Abingdon United, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
Courtney Sweetman-Kirk smashed a hat-trick and Victoria Williams scored twice for the visitors, with Gemma Simmonds’ reply proving no consolation for the U’s.
It took Doncaster just 14 minutes to break the deadlock as Sweetman-Kirk broke free before lobbing the onrushing Demi Lambourne in goal.
She struck again shortly before the half-hour mark, heading in Sue Smith’s cross and Williams made it 3-0 by heading in from a corner.
Simmonds pulled one back just before half-time, firing into the bottom corner after some impressive play from Katie Stanley on the right-hand side.
But the Belles restored their three-goal cushion early in the second hald after U’s captain Kat Nutman lost possession, allowing Sweetman-Kirk the chance to bag her hat-trick.
And Williams completed the rout 20 minutes from time, spotting Lambourne off her line before launching an audacious lob from 40 yards.
Oxford United: Lambourne, Connor-Iommi, Alexander, Nutman, Chivers, Hines, King, Franklin-Fraiture (Fellows 62), Simmonds (Pickett 76), Stanley, Allison (Low 76). Subs not used: Nichol, Marshall.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- Fixture changes for Oxford United include derby at Swindon Town
- WATCH: Oxford United players undergo gruelling tests on first day of pre-season
- Oxford United will start pre-season training at Bisham Abbey while work is done at Roman Way
- Liam Sercombe relishing seeing Oxford United teammates again – but not looking forward to pre-season tests
- Christian Ribeiro: Oxford United's displays against Exeter City convinced me to sign