General manager Justin Merritt could not hide his joy at seeing Oxford City finally score the goals they had been threatening, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
Adi Yussuf (2) and Alejandro-Adrian Santiago’s goal gave unbeaten City a 3-2 victory at Solihull Moors in Vanarama Conference North on Saturday.
And after scoring just once in their opening three games, Merritt felt the goals had been coming.
“In the last couple of games we had created a number of chances and that finishing touch just hadn’t happened,” he said.
“We had been creating the chances, but just hadn’t been getting enough people forward and that’s what we’ve been working on this last week in training.”
There is little time to dwell on a job well done, with less than 48 hours to prepare for this afternoon’s clash with Gloucester City.
Merritt added: “Obviously we’ll go into the game looking for back-to-back wins.
“One or two have knocks and we’ve also got Declan (Benjamin) available again, so we have some decisions to make.
“But I’m going to enjoy this victory first.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- ROWING: Constantine Louloudis eyes chance to extend GB's golden record at Rio Olympics
- FOOTBALL: Les Taylor backs Oxford United Women to learn from errors ahead of Everton clash
- BOXING: Bicester star Adi Burden impresses on professional debut with knockout victory
- CRICKET: Ian Caunce's century inspires Oxfordshire Over 60s to victory
- MOTORSPORT: Williams driver Valtteri Bottas looking forward to Finnish invasion at Hungarian Grand Prix
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Under 14s edged out in thriller
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford clean up at three-day gala
- ICE SKATING: Oxford skaters waltz off with medals at national championships