General manager Justin Merritt could not hide his joy at seeing Oxford City finally score the goals they had been threatening, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
Adi Yussuf (2) and Alejandro-Adrian Santiago’s goal gave unbeaten City a 3-2 victory at Solihull Moors in Vanarama Conference North on Saturday.
And after scoring just once in their opening three games, Merritt felt the goals had been coming.
“In the last couple of games we had created a number of chances and that finishing touch just hadn’t happened,” he said.
“We had been creating the chances, but just hadn’t been getting enough people forward and that’s what we’ve been working on this last week in training.”
There is little time to dwell on a job well done, with less than 48 hours to prepare for this afternoon’s clash with Gloucester City.
Merritt added: “Obviously we’ll go into the game looking for back-to-back wins.
“One or two have knocks and we’ve also got Declan (Benjamin) available again, so we have some decisions to make.
“But I’m going to enjoy this victory first.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory at Chesterfield
- Chesterfield 0, Oxford United 4 (Hall 17, McAleny 35, 60 & 69)
- UPDATES - Chesterfield v Oxford United
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: It’s a challenging schedule but we’re more than ready
- Rob Hall hoping to boost Oxford United during busy period after much-needed rest
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton left with selection headache for Chesterfield clash
- BOXING: Sammy Ait-Tales lands victory on professional debut
- TABLE TENNIS: Christine Scaysbrook's first maximum saves depleted Forum C
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford youngsters land two trophies in Cardiff
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars aim to bounce back against basement side