Solihull Moors 2
(Bogle 34, Fleet 82)
Oxford City 3
(Yussuf 5, 27, Santiago 61)
Oxford City extended their unbeaten start to the season to four matches with an impressive 3-2 win at Solihull Moors in Vanarama Conference North on Saturday, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
Adi Yussuf scored twice to put City two goals up before Omar Bogle reduced the deficit.
Alejandro-Adrian Santiago struck again for City after the break, but a Reece Fleet strike ensured a nervy ending.
With just one goal in their opening three matches there had been questions raised over City’s attacking threat, but those concerns were allayed after just three minutes when Yussuf put the visitors ahead.
Capitalising on a sloppy pass from the Solihull defence, Yussuf strode unopposed into the area before driving past goalkeeper Tony Breeden.
Yussuf made it two midway through the half, getting on the end of a beautiful passing move from Felipe Barcelos and Javi Rodriguez to fire in at the near post.
Fleet then went close to pegging City back, striking the bar with a thunderous effort, and when Ben Brown failed to clear his lines shortly afterwards Bogle was on hand to blast home.
It was the first goal City had conceded this term, but the visitors responded well after the break, restoring their two-goal cushion when Santiago rose to head in a Tom Winters corner at the front post.
Lewis Wilson then had the chance to kill the hosts off 15 minutes from time, but headed wide from point-blank range.
And there was a tense finish to come after Fleet reduced the arrears once more with a powerful strike from the edge of the penalty area.
But City were able to hang on for their second successive away win as they rise to sixth in the table.
Oxford City: Scott, Wilson, Stonehouse, Malone, Santiago, Brown (Pond 58), Barcelos, Del Alamo (Green 58), Yussuf (Henderson 71), Rodriguez, Winters. Sub not used: Afolabi.
Referee: M Amphlett.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships
- Details announced for Oxford United's EFL Cup tie at Birmingham City
- CRICKET: Shaun Cross takes four as Shipton cruise into last 16 of Davidstow Village Cup
- ATHLETICS: Clarke books ticket to Rio Olympics and vows best is yet to come
- ATHLETICS: Douglas claims British triple jump title, but yet to seal place to Rio
- WEEKEND RESULTS June 25 & 26
- CRICKET: Samad Fallah takes seven as Oxford rout Gerrards Cross
- ATHLETICS: Ennis delighted to reach 200m final
- VIDEO: Watch goals from new Oxford United striker Wes Thomas