Banbury Utd 2
(Walcott pen 11, Murombedzi 82)
(Veal 1, Groves pen 32, Downing 47)
Banbury United stay bottom of the Southern League Premier Division after another defeat.
Both sides went into the game without a victory, but it is Edwin Stein’s side who set an unwanted club record of losing their opening five league games for the first time in their history, not helped by conceding a goal inside a minute.
Matt Wright headed Ian Sampson’s centre across goal and Craig Veal scored with just 55 seconds gone.
Banbury equalised ten minutes later when Shepherd Murombedzi was fouled in the box and Jacob Walcott scored from the spot.
But another penalty in the 32nd minute saw the visitors regain the lead, ex-Banbury player Richard Groves converting after debutant James Yeboah fouled Veal.
Bideford made it 3-1 two minutes into the second half when Sean Downing fired in a shot that keeper Josh Hill was unable to keep out.
Veal missed a great chance to make it 4-1, and was nearly made to pay when Murombedzi gave Banbury hope with eight minutes left.
But they were unable to level.
Banbury Utd: Hill, Westbrook, Maki (Obeng 40), Martin, Yeboah, Ryan, Murombedzi, Abrahams, Simpson (Walcott 7), Masri (Adekunle 54), Evangelinos. Subs not used: Green, Jackson.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- Dan Crowley set for Dutch trial as Oxford United loan is cut short
- VARSITY MATCH: Catherine Wilcock backing Oxford University Women to step up
- RUGBY UNION: Dark Blues skipper Fergus Taylor out for more Varsity Match joy
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars slip to fourth after narrow loss
- BAR BILLIARDS: Pauline Withey leads way as Oracle whitewash opponents
- ROWING: Dominant Oxford Brookes lead the way at Wallingford
- ATHLETICS: Steve Naylor wins second round of Oxford Mail Cross Country League
- ATHLETICS: Ben West claims third in Chiltern Cross Country League
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's penalty shoot-out win at Southend United