Banbury United suffered their first opening day of the season defeat for ten years, going down 1-0 at home to ten-man Poole.
A Steve Devlin penalty after 57 minutes earned the South coast side the three Southern League Premier Division points.
The spot-kick was awarded after Tanasheh Abrahams fouled Marvin Brooks.
The visitors lost ex-Oxford United man Carl Pettefer, who was sent off for a reckless challenge on Jack Westbrook on the half-hour.
Banbury Utd: Nuamah, Cray, Strafford, Mzungwana, Westbrook (Osyemi 80), Murombedzi, Abrahams, Evangelinos, Green (Adekunie 58), Martin (Browne 88) , Masri. Subs not used: Oke, Vincent-Young, Brooks.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United 2 (Thomas 28, Crowley 90+4), Brighton & HA 4 (Adekugbe 2, LuaLua 76, Manu 81, Hemed 85)
- Oxford Utd v Brighton & HA - LIVE
- Oxford United linked with Everton midfielder Ryan Ledson
- Oxford United eye another Championship scalp as Brighton prepare to shuffle their pack
- Michael Appleton: Friendly defeat of more use to Oxford United than Brighton ahead of EFL Cup tie
- CRICKET: Witney Mills anger as ‘awful incident’ ends game
- HOCKEY: Super Oxford Hawks youngsters help England win bronze medal
- Oxford City secretary John Shepperd thrilled to receive long service honour from the Football Association
- DARTS: Marvel Matty Smith records three maximums for Cowley British Legion
- Euro trip could be last for threatened Oxford City Lions – boss Enrique Guillen