Ardley United chairman Norman Stacey says he can’t wait for the season to start as the club looks to win the Uhlsport Hellenic League Premier Division title for the first time.
Last season they were beaten to the crown by Wantage Townby two points.
However, Ardley have lost five key players, including strikers Ryan Brooks, who left to join Didcot Town, and Steve Howkins to Easington.
But Murray Nicholls and Danny Bone are back, while Keiren Strange (Oxford City) and ex-Kidlington forward Diego Petriaggi have signed.
“Winning the title is the aim because there’s only one promotion place,” said Stacey. “We’ve already got the ground grading for the Southern League in place.
Ardley start their season tomorrow at home to Cheltenham Saracens.
Stacey added: “I’m hopeful and excited about the new season.”
Abingdon United will be looking for Anaclet Odhiambo to boost their goals tally this season, starting with the visit of Newbury.
The striker, who joins from the now-defunct AFC Hinksey, heads their list of recruits.
Abingdon are without Jamie Zoldan (holiday), Graham Edney (wedding), Andrew Younie (wedding), Josh Crooke (banned), Adam Garner and Tom Butler (both injured).
Tomorrow’s squad Abingdon Utd (v Newbury, home): from Durrant, Rookes, Rowe,Thorne, Laurence, Threlfall, J McCalmon, Langford, Odhiambo, Sc Davis, Hannigan, Alder, S Davis, Mcneil, Doyle, Rutherford.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Ex-Oxford United star Jamie Cook proud of career after hanging up football boots to turn attention to golf
- POINT-TO-POINT: Big names jockeys sign up for Anglo-Irish challenge at Kingston Blount
- ROWING: Oxford City's Josie Nash and Eilish Turner-Frick shine in Inter-Regional Championships
- ATHLETICS: Abingdon's Paul Fernandez impresses in London Marathon
- AMERICAN FOOTBALL: James Walter’s double earns Oxford Saints their first victory
- ATHLETICS: Banbury Harriers win UK Youth Development League opener
- BAR BILLIARDS: Donnington Club close in on Division 1 crown
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Brookes students to host charity sevens tournament
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- HORSE RACING: Mark Bradstock thrilled with Coneygree's return to action