Didcot Town joint manager Ian Concannon is targeting a play-off challenge.
They have brought in a number of impressive signings as they look to build on last term’s form, starting with tomorrow’s Southern League Division 1 South & West visit of Swindon Supermarine.
The Railwaymen include goal-machine Ryan Brooks, from Ardley United, midfielders Matt Clark (ex-North Leigh) and Luke Abrahart from Thatcham Town, plus defender Adam Learoyd from Oxford City.
Preparations have been hampered by an injury list which includes Brooks (hamstring) and Josh Dutton-Black (ankle), who are injury doubts.
“We want to carry on the momentum from last season,” said Concannon.
“We had a good run in and didn’t want the season to end.
“When we were safe from relegation, we were determined not to let the season fizzle out. People were either playing to stay in the team or trying to get into the team.
“This time we want to be right up there, pushing for the play-offs.”
IN: Brooks (Ardley), Learoyd (Oxford City), Abrahart (Swindon Supermarine), Clark (North Leigh), Self (Oxford City), Organ (North Leigh).
OUT: M Woodley (North Leigh), Ollie Thomas (Milton Utd).
North Leigh boss Mark Gee is hoping that getting his players back early for pre-season training will pay off, starting with tomorrow’s visit of Mangotsfield.
Gee, in his 15th season at Eynsham Park, is hoping the early start will give his side the upper hand.
“We got them in before the end of June,” said Gee. “It’s not like when I was a player – now you have gyms where they can keep themselves fit.
“That means when the players come back, we can work on tactics and team shape straight away.”
Gee deliberately made his signings early on, bringing in the former Oxford City duo of keeper Matt Bulman and midfielder Callum McNish, ex-U’s youngster Conor Ingram and former Aberdeen and Bolton striker Michael Bird.
Gee is looking at another play-off tilt. He added: “That’s the aim.”
IN: Bird (unattached), Bulman, McNish (both Oxford City), C Ingram (Oxford Utd), M Woodley (Didcot T).
OUT: Malone (Oxford City), Bell (Chesham Utd).
Didcot Tn (v Supermarine, home): Foster, A Williams, Elkins, Carnell, Learoyd, Organ, Whitehead, Baines, Clark, Self, L Williams, Mills, Parish, McKirnan, Bernasconi, Abrahart.
North Leigh (v Mangotsfield, home): from Bulman, Westlake, Hole, Gunn, M Woodley, McNish, Osborne-Ricketts, A Woodley, Sanders, Williams, Bowles, Eadle, C Ingram, Caton.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Barnet 3 (Weston 7, Akinde 11 & pen 66), Oxford United 3 (Thomas 43 & 46, Crowley 81)
- LIVE -Barnet v Oxford United
- Oxford United prepared for physical test in final pre-season friendly at Barnet
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City lose Marlon Jackson to Newport County
- FOOTBALL: Manager Les Taylor confident Oxford United women will rise to big occasion
- SWIMMING: Emily Nisbet wins medals in Scottish Championships
- ANGLING: Ian Young wins Oxford Summer League on low-scoring day
- MARTIAL ARTS: Katie Franks lands three world titles
- MOTORVRACING: Valtteri Bottas eyes strong showing for Williams in Germany
- CRICKET: Horspath youngsters make it a hat-trick of titles