Didcot Town joint manager Ian Concannon is targeting a play-off challenge.
They have brought in a number of impressive signings as they look to build on last term’s form, starting with tomorrow’s Southern League Division 1 South & West visit of Swindon Supermarine.
The Railwaymen include goal-machine Ryan Brooks, from Ardley United, midfielders Matt Clark (ex-North Leigh) and Luke Abrahart from Thatcham Town, plus defender Adam Learoyd from Oxford City.
Preparations have been hampered by an injury list which includes Brooks (hamstring) and Josh Dutton-Black (ankle), who are injury doubts.
“We want to carry on the momentum from last season,” said Concannon.
“We had a good run in and didn’t want the season to end.
“When we were safe from relegation, we were determined not to let the season fizzle out. People were either playing to stay in the team or trying to get into the team.
“This time we want to be right up there, pushing for the play-offs.”
IN: Brooks (Ardley), Learoyd (Oxford City), Abrahart (Swindon Supermarine), Clark (North Leigh), Self (Oxford City), Organ (North Leigh).
OUT: M Woodley (North Leigh), Ollie Thomas (Milton Utd).
North Leigh boss Mark Gee is hoping that getting his players back early for pre-season training will pay off, starting with tomorrow’s visit of Mangotsfield.
Gee, in his 15th season at Eynsham Park, is hoping the early start will give his side the upper hand.
“We got them in before the end of June,” said Gee. “It’s not like when I was a player – now you have gyms where they can keep themselves fit.
“That means when the players come back, we can work on tactics and team shape straight away.”
Gee deliberately made his signings early on, bringing in the former Oxford City duo of keeper Matt Bulman and midfielder Callum McNish, ex-U’s youngster Conor Ingram and former Aberdeen and Bolton striker Michael Bird.
Gee is looking at another play-off tilt. He added: “That’s the aim.”
IN: Bird (unattached), Bulman, McNish (both Oxford City), C Ingram (Oxford Utd), M Woodley (Didcot T).
OUT: Malone (Oxford City), Bell (Chesham Utd).
Didcot Tn (v Supermarine, home): Foster, A Williams, Elkins, Carnell, Learoyd, Organ, Whitehead, Baines, Clark, Self, L Williams, Mills, Parish, McKirnan, Bernasconi, Abrahart.
North Leigh (v Mangotsfield, home): from Bulman, Westlake, Hole, Gunn, M Woodley, McNish, Osborne-Ricketts, A Woodley, Sanders, Williams, Bowles, Eadle, C Ingram, Caton.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- GOLF: Eddie Pepperell clinches US Open spot after superb qualifying display
- Michael Appleton confident Oxford United are close to new signing
- Oxford United denied cash boost from Kemar Roofe transfer after Leeds United's failure to make play-offs
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire clinch first Twickenham win after dramatic finale
- RESULTS: May 27-28
- CRICKET: Home Counties Premier League reports
- MOTORSPORT: Haas and Williams in the points at Monaco Grand Prix
- RUGBY UNION: Oxfordshire beat Sussex in dramatic Twickenham final
- TWICKENHAM: Captain Allan Purchase honoured to lead Oxfordshire in County Championship Plate final
- TWICKENHAM: Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows eyeing glory after heartbreak as a player