At least one new face is expected at Oxford United training this morning as Michael Appleton looks to strengthen ahead of tomorrow’s home friendly with Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The U’s were closing in on moves for a midfielder and a defender over the weekend and are hoping to tie up deals as soon as possible.
Appleton, who is also looking to significantly strengthen his forward line, was confident on Saturday he would be able to work with at least one in training today.
The U’s head coach said: “As far as I’m concerned, come training Monday morning we should have one new face and hopefully two.
“The two that we expect are very key to what we want to do.
“Beyond that obviously we have still got a bit of time, but there’s still a lot of work to do, especially at the top end of the pitch.”
Appleton was speaking after Saturday’s excellent 3-0 win against Fulham’s development side in a behind-closed-doors game at Roman Way.
Danny Hylton, Tom Newey and Jon Meades were all on target in an impressive first-half performance.
Hylton and substitute Josh Shama came close to extending the lead after the break, while at the other end goalkeepers George Long and Max Crocombe, who played 45 minutes each, were rarely stretched.
Appleton said: “I think one of the most pleasing things was how organised we were.
“At the minute I’m asking the players questions and they seem to be answering.”
Latest Sport news
- Newcastle United win FA Cup replay to set up fourth round trip to Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City waiting to discover their share of Luke Coulson transfer fee paid by Barnet
- Kate Williamson, 70, stunned to be going head-to-head with Olympic silver medallist in Oxfordshire Sports Awards
- FOOTBALL: Hanborough edge into last four of Fred Ford Cup with shoot-out victory against Aston
- FOOTBALL: Saxton Rovers send North Berks League Division 1 leaders Berinsfield to first defeat
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: Brilliant Bleakley hits four as Summertown Eagles surpass Grove’s challenge
- GIRLS' FOOTBALL: Bethany Chapman and Hermione Prescott impress as Headington advance in Under 12 League Cup
- FOOTBALL: Hook Norton earn Oxfordshire Senior Cup tie with Banbury United
- FOOTBALL: Union Street secure comeback win over Oxford City FA leaders Lusitanos Oxford
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers