Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

12:10pm Thursday 3rd July 2014

By Mark Edwards

STEWART Donald has this morning told the Oxford Mail he is prepared to back Charlie Methven’s consortium with 'substantial funds' in their takeover bid for Oxford United.

A group of Oxfordshire businessmen led by Methven revealed last week they had held talks with U’s owner Ian Lenagan about a potential deal. This morning it was confirmed a formal offer had been submitted.

They face a rival bid from a consortium led by Mark Ashton and Darryl Eales, who appear to be the frontrunners with rumours emerging that they may even have signed a deal in principle.

However Donald, a lifelong U’s fan whose company, Bridle Insurance, were previously club sponsors, is happy to back Methven’s group.

“I was approached by Charlie Methven about helping them out, and I have agreed to do this,” he said.

“I am a huge Oxford United fan and feel that the club are at a critical stage of their future.”

Donald owns Conference South club Eastleigh, but says his involvement in Oxford will have no bearing on that.

“None whatsoever,” he said.

“It does not impact at all. I am fully committed to Eastleigh and I am in the middle of a project there, maybe not even in the middle.

“I cannot own more than ten per cent of another club because of that involvement, so it will have no impact at all.

“I am doing this because I know my funds will be used for the good of Oxford United Football Club.”

When asked about the amount he would be putting in, Donald replied: "Substantial. That's the best way to put it."

Latest United news:

Confident Oxford United ready to step up for Coventry test

Oxford Mail:

George Baldock says Oxford United will benefit from a tough test against Coventry City this afternoon as they look to complete their preparations for the new season.

Oxford United revert to red and black away strip for new season

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 1st August 2015

Oxford United have unveiled their new away kit for the 2015-16 campaign.

Oxford United launch new away kit

Oxford Mail:

5:00pm Friday 31st July 2015

OXFORD United have unveiled their new away kit for the 2015-16 campaign.

Oxford United boss: We've got nothing to hide from first League Two opponents

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 31st July 2015

MICHAEL Appleton says there is no need for Crawley Town to scout Oxford United’s final pre-season game tomorrow – because they will already know his team for next week’s Sky Bet League Two opener.

Liam Sercombe gives Oxford United a new dimension, says Danny Rose

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 31st July 2015

DANNY Rose has praised Liam Sercombe’s impact since the midfielder signed for Oxford United this summer.

Back

© Copyright 2001-2015 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/trade_directory/