Report this comment
  • "Great news to hear that Stewart Donald of Bridle backs Charlie Methvens bid.

    I am sure all true OUFC fans would prefer Methven to Ashton."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

First published in Headlines
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

STEWART Donald has this morning told the Oxford Mail he is prepared to back Charlie Methven’s consortium with 'substantial funds' in their takeover bid for Oxford United.

A group of Oxfordshire businessmen led by Methven revealed last week they had held talks with U’s owner Ian Lenagan about a potential deal. This morning it was confirmed a formal offer had been submitted.

They face a rival bid from a consortium led by Mark Ashton and Darryl Eales, who appear to be the frontrunners with rumours emerging that they may even have signed a deal in principle.

However Donald, a lifelong U’s fan whose company, Bridle Insurance, were previously club sponsors, is happy to back Methven’s group.

“I was approached by Charlie Methven about helping them out, and I have agreed to do this,” he said.

“I am a huge Oxford United fan and feel that the club are at a critical stage of their future.”

Donald owns Conference South club Eastleigh, but says his involvement in Oxford will have no bearing on that.

“None whatsoever,” he said.

“It does not impact at all. I am fully committed to Eastleigh and I am in the middle of a project there, maybe not even in the middle.

“I cannot own more than ten per cent of another club because of that involvement, so it will have no impact at all.

“I am doing this because I know my funds will be used for the good of Oxford United Football Club.”

When asked about the amount he would be putting in, Donald replied: "Substantial. That's the best way to put it."

Latest United news:

Armand Gnanduillet accentuates the positives of move to Oxford United

Oxford Mail:

2:00pm Friday 6th March 2015

ARMAND Gnanduillet has high hopes of being a success at Oxford United – because he can understand the players’ accents.

Preview: 7 stories previewing Oxford United's trip to Bury in our Interactive Graphic

Oxford Mail:

1:57pm Friday 6th March 2015

Get ready for the big kick-off tomorrow with our 7 stories previewing Oxford United's trip to Bury

Oxford United are ready for a scrap, says ex-Bury player Scarz

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 6th March 2015

Joe Skarz says Oxford United are under no illusions about the scale of the task which still lies ahead if they are to get out of the relegation battle in Sky Bet League Two.

Michael Appleton upbeat Oxford United's strikers will deliver

Oxford Mail:

9:10am Friday 6th March 2015

OXFORD United’s attacking resources are the deepest they have been all season, but taking chances remains head coach Michael Appleton’s biggest headache.

Oxford United's Max Crocombe gets first senior international call-up

Oxford Mail: Oxford United keeper Max Crocombe is playing for New Zealand in the FIFA U-20 World Cup in Turkey

9:00am Friday 6th March 2015

OXFORD United goalkeeper Max Crocombe has received his first call-up to the senior New Zealand squad.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree