Report this comment
  • "It goes without saying that this is the deal we Oxford fans prefer, other than that other one. In addition, I can see this also benefiting Constable if he wants to return."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

Stewart Donald to back Charlie Methven's consortium in Oxford United takeover bid

First published in Headlines
Last updated
Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425451

STEWART Donald has this morning told the Oxford Mail he is prepared to back Charlie Methven’s consortium with 'substantial funds' in their takeover bid for Oxford United.

A group of Oxfordshire businessmen led by Methven revealed last week they had held talks with U’s owner Ian Lenagan about a potential deal. This morning it was confirmed a formal offer had been submitted.

They face a rival bid from a consortium led by Mark Ashton and Darryl Eales, who appear to be the frontrunners with rumours emerging that they may even have signed a deal in principle.

However Donald, a lifelong U’s fan whose company, Bridle Insurance, were previously club sponsors, is happy to back Methven’s group.

“I was approached by Charlie Methven about helping them out, and I have agreed to do this,” he said.

“I am a huge Oxford United fan and feel that the club are at a critical stage of their future.”

Donald owns Conference South club Eastleigh, but says his involvement in Oxford will have no bearing on that.

“None whatsoever,” he said.

“It does not impact at all. I am fully committed to Eastleigh and I am in the middle of a project there, maybe not even in the middle.

“I cannot own more than ten per cent of another club because of that involvement, so it will have no impact at all.

“I am doing this because I know my funds will be used for the good of Oxford United Football Club.”

When asked about the amount he would be putting in, Donald replied: "Substantial. That's the best way to put it."

Latest United news:

Oxford United's Max Crocombe made to wait for international debut

Oxford Mail:

11:20am Tuesday 31st March 2015

MAX Crocombe has been named on the bench for New Zealand's international friendly against the Korea Republic in Seoul today.

Patrick Hoban happy to reward Oxford United's faith

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Tuesday 31st March 2015

Patrick Hoban thanked boss Michael Appleton and his Oxford United teammates for keeping faith in him after the longest scoring drought of his career came to an end.

Oxford United to face depleted North Leigh outfit in Oxfordshire Senior Cup clash

Oxford Mail: Aaron Woodley put North Leigh 2-0 ahead

8:00am Tuesday 31st March 2015

North Leigh manager Mark Gee will have just 12 players to choose from for tonight’s Oxfordshire Senior Cup semi-final against Oxford United at Banbury’s Spencer Stadium (7.45).

Oxford United are shocked by minnows North Leigh

Oxford Mail: Morgan Williams netted a double in North Leigh's 7-0 win at Guildford City

11:14pm Tuesday 31st March 2015

North Leigh twice came from behind to beat Oxford United 3-2 to reach the Oxfordshire Senior Cup final.

Michael Appleton hails Oxford United fans after crucial victory

Oxford Mail:

12:20pm Monday 30th March 2015

Michael Appleton thanked Oxford United’s supporters for the role they played in a critically-important 2-1 victory against Carlisle United.

Comments (4)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree