OxVox 'cautious' over Oxford United takeover rumours

10:14am Wednesday 25th June 2014

By Mark Edwards

OXFORD United’s supporters’ trust have expressed ‘caution’ over the news that a consortium involving Mark Ashton is understood to be interested in taking over the football club.

The former West Bromwich Albion goalkeeper has previously been chief executive at Watford and Wycombe Wanderers, although he lasted just four months in his role at the latter.

Although nothing has been confirmed or denied by United about the rumours, Mark Sennett, chairman of supporters’ group OxVox, says that looking into Ashton’s past has rung alarm bells.

United’s owner and chairman Ian Lenagan has always said he is happy to talk with anyone who is interested in getting involved with the club, but in an interview with the Oxford Mail in April - his last public interview - said that the club was not for sale.

"We get them (approaches) every couple of months, I had another one this week who might be real, or might not be real, " he said.

"I always have a simple view, I will talk with anybody who wants to get involved with Oxford United.

"Do I want to sell Oxford United? No, I don't."

However, rumours of a takeover do concern Sennett.

“Any time a rumour does the rounds and a name is linked to Oxford United, we, as a supporters’ trust, have to do our research,” he said.

“We have spoken to people connected to Watford and Wycombe Wanderers where Mr Ashton has been in the past and, being honest, the feedback from fans is not good.

“If there is to be an ownership change at the club, our one and only concern is that the person or group must have the interest of our football club, Oxford United, at heart and that the deal would be the right one for the football club.

“I suppose the word I would use in terms to our reaction is cautious.”

OxVox last year won the right to bid to buy on the Kassam Stadium should it ever go up for sale after Oxford City Council used new laws to make it a “community asset”.

This means owner Firoz Kassam would have to declare a six-month moratorium for supporters to put together a rival bid before any sale.

Sennett confirmed that they had not received notice of a bid for the stadium.

But if one were to be submitted, it would then be up to the members of the supporters’ group to decide if they wanted to launch a counter-offer.

Latest United news

United boss could name same again

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Saturday 23rd August 2014

WITH no new injury concerns Oxford United could name an unchanged starting line-up for the first time this season.

Stick with us, says Oxford skipper

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Friday 22nd August 2014

Jake Wright believes Oxford United’s attractive style will mean supporters continue to back the team while they attempt to recover from a slow start to the season.

Slow start no cause for concern - Oxford United boss

Oxford Mail:

9:20am Friday 22nd August 2014

NO points, no goals from open play, no clean sheets – Oxford United’s start to Sky Bet League Two would give plenty of coaches sleepless nights.

Hylton's happy to roam in quest for Oxford United goals

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Friday 22nd August 2014

DANNY Hylton says he is enjoying being given added freedom by Oxford United boss Michael Appleton to cause other teams problems.

Appleton seeks 'clever' solution to Oxford United's lack of goals

Oxford Mail:

8:30am Friday 22nd August 2014

MICHAEL Appleton says Oxford United have to be creative while they continue to search for targets up front during the transfer window.

Back

© Copyright 2001-2014 Newsquest Media Group

Oxford Mail: site_logo http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk

Click 2 Find Business Directory http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/trade_directory/