NINETEEN people in Oxfordshire subject to football banning orders have handed their passports into police.
Thames Valley Police confirmed yesterday that they had all surrendered their passports ahead of the World Cup in Brazil, which starts today with the hosts playing Croatia at 9pm.
They will be allowed to travel again after the final ends and the trophy has been lifted by the champions on Sunday, July 13.
It comes as police plan to have more officers on patrol in Oxford during England games and they will be working alongside pubs screening games.
Thames Valley Police spokesman Chris Kearney said they had contacted the 19 individuals in the county to ensure they were complying with their banning orders.
He said: “A lot of work has been done in the run-up to the World Cup to ensure that we are working closely with licensees.
“There will be dedicated resources to make sure Oxford is safe.”
Meanwhile, Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service has advised football fans to leave their car keys at home when watching matches in pubs so they are not tempted to drink and drive.
Road safety manager Mick Clarke said they should use taxis, adding: “It is also essential that people know that the effects of alcohol can still last into the morning after a drinking session.”
Mr Clarke added: “It is vital not to get caught out if people plan to drive to work or take the children to school.”
- Our top stories
7:30am Tuesday 28th April 2015
WILLIAMS’S chief executive officer has described last year’s financial result as a “hangover” from the company’s poor performance the previous year.
7:00am Tuesday 28th April 2015
FUNDRAISERS will jump out of a plane to raise money for sevenyear-old Charlotte Nott.
6:30am Tuesday 28th April 2015
A VICTIM of child sex abuse and her mother have written books about their traumatic experiences at the hands of a gang jailed after Operation Bullfinch.
6:00am Tuesday 28th April 2015
NEIGHBOURS are uniting to save a Marston pub in danger of being demolished next year.
8:44pm Monday 27th April 2015
PROPERTIES affected by power cuts in Oxfordshire today are being brought back online in phases.
8:30am Monday 27th April 2015
A 34-YEAR-OLD will appear in court tomorrow accused of murdering the man found fatally wounded in a car in Barton.