Judge throws out appeal over Kassam Stadium's protected status bid

Firoz Kassam

Firoz Kassam

First published in Headlines
Last updated

A judge has thrown out an appeal launched by the owner of the Kassam Stadium into the facility’s protected status.

Firoz Kassam and his company Firoka had taken Oxford City Council’s decision to list the Grenoble Road stadium as a community asset to a tribunal.

The judge, Nicholas Warren, ruled that the stadium was “intrinsically linked” to Oxford United.

His ruling means the stadium will keep its legal protection, meaning that if Firoka were to sell it then U’s supporters group OxVox would be able to attempt to buy it.

  • Our top stories:

Video: Watch the blaze that destroyed a lorry trailer carrying egg boxes on the A40

Oxford Mail:

11:10am Monday 22nd December 2014

A LORRY containing egg boxes has caught fire on the A40 near Witney.   

Special report: The city where it can be 19 times your salary for a home

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Monday 22nd December 2014

THERE is no longer anywhere cheap to live in Oxford, leaving average earners priced out of the market house prices up to 19 times the media salary, new figures show.

UPDATE: Queues along Abingdon Road as Westgate shopping centre car park fills up with Christmas shoppers

Oxford Mail: Westgate Centre oxford

4:35pm Monday 22nd December 2014

A RUSH of shoppers to the Westgate Shopping Centre has caused traffic to queue down Abingdon Road in Oxford.

A4130 blocked after car goes into ditch

Oxford Mail: a4130 alert

1:19pm Monday 22nd December 2014

THE A4130 is partially blocked in both directions by a car crash between Didcot and Brightwell-cum-Sotwell.

Oxford chosen to host new NHS genetics research centre to improve care

Oxford Mail:

12:10pm Monday 22nd December 2014

PEOPLE in Oxfordshire with cancer and rare diseases could get advanced diagnosis and treatment under a new genetics project.

What brilliant picture is in our Oxford Mail Advent Calendar today?

Oxford Mail:

6:00am Tuesday 9th December 2014

December is Advent Calendar time and we have a special new interactive graphic for you each and every day until Christmas Eve. I've chosen the best 24 pictures of 2014 and I'll be unveiling one a day - so what is behind's today's door?

Guess which of the great and good sent these Christmas cards

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 22nd December 2014

YOU know you’re starting to go places when you get Christmas cards from Oxfordshire's great and the good. Here's David Cameron's offering but can you guess who is responsible for the other five hidden in our interactive graphic and then read why they chose them

Much-loved narrowboat taken out of commission

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Monday 22nd December 2014

A NARROWBOAT that has delighted elderly and disabled people with canal trips for more than two decades has sailed her last.

Campaigner welcomes move to approve new kidney cancer drug

Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author

7:00am Monday 22nd December 2014

CANCER campaigner Clive Stone has praised health bosses he once fought against for passing a kidney cancer drug, but pledged to fight for other sufferers.

Boris gets a reminder to return book to Oxford college's library

Oxford Mail:

6:30am Monday 22nd December 2014

MAYOR of London Boris Johnson had a confession to make when he visited Oxford to sign copies of his latest book.

Upgrade locks, say police, after spate of burglaries

Oxford Mail: Thames Valley Police logo

6:30am Monday 22nd December 2014

BURGLARIES that have all used the same technique to break door locks have prompted a warning by police for residents to improve their home security.

Firefighters battle loft blaze in Witney

Oxford Mail: Fire engine Oxfordshire

10:01am Sunday 21st December 2014

FIREFIGHTERS were able to stop a roof fire spreading and destroying the rest of the house last night.

Skye Hall's family: Our first Christmas without our brave son

Oxford Mail:

9:00am Saturday 20th December 2014

LOOM bands are taking over the house of Skye Hall’s family as they prepare to spend their first Christmas without the brave youngster who died in August.

Hudspeth backs councillors in demand to be told man's pay in allowances row

Oxford Mail: Ian Hudspeth

8:30am Saturday 20th December 2014

OXFORDSHIRE County Council leader Ian Hudspeth has backed councillors Rodney Rose and Kevin Bulmer who asked a voter to reveal his wages when he challenged them over a 19 per cent hike in their allowance.

Comments (9)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:08pm Mon 12 May 14

benga says...

Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.
Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning. benga
  • Score: 11

6:50pm Mon 12 May 14

Redbulls says...

benga wrote:
Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.
it cost him nothing !! Taylor Woodrow built it Firoz paid nothing for it with his offshore company ... Taylor never bothered chasing the £millions as in legal fees it would have cost them more than the money they were trying to recover ( fact)
[quote][p][bold]benga[/bold] wrote: Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.[/p][/quote]it cost him nothing !! Taylor Woodrow built it Firoz paid nothing for it with his offshore company ... Taylor never bothered chasing the £millions as in legal fees it would have cost them more than the money they were trying to recover ( fact) Redbulls
  • Score: 1

7:35pm Mon 12 May 14

Joe1 says...

Slimey
Slimey Joe1
  • Score: 2

8:36pm Mon 12 May 14

35 year fan says...

very good as this reduces the future purchase price of the stadium. congratulations all. thank you judge.
very good as this reduces the future purchase price of the stadium. congratulations all. thank you judge. 35 year fan
  • Score: 7

6:38pm Tue 13 May 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

Redbulls wrote:
benga wrote:
Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.
it cost him nothing !! Taylor Woodrow built it Firoz paid nothing for it with his offshore company ... Taylor never bothered chasing the £millions as in legal fees it would have cost them more than the money they were trying to recover ( fact)
Taylor Woodrow started building it in 1996........3 years before Firoz Kassam bought the club, and stopped building it 1997, 2 years before he bought the club.
If Firoz hadn't bought the club in 1999, Birse Construction wouldn't have finished the construction, which recommenced in 2000.

Personally I hate football, don't care what happens to the stadium, but don't think someone should be getting slagged off, when it was in fact his money that got the club out of the financial mess it had got itself into.
[quote][p][bold]Redbulls[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]benga[/bold] wrote: Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.[/p][/quote]it cost him nothing !! Taylor Woodrow built it Firoz paid nothing for it with his offshore company ... Taylor never bothered chasing the £millions as in legal fees it would have cost them more than the money they were trying to recover ( fact)[/p][/quote]Taylor Woodrow started building it in 1996........3 years before Firoz Kassam bought the club, and stopped building it 1997, 2 years before he bought the club. If Firoz hadn't bought the club in 1999, Birse Construction wouldn't have finished the construction, which recommenced in 2000. Personally I hate football, don't care what happens to the stadium, but don't think someone should be getting slagged off, when it was in fact his money that got the club out of the financial mess it had got itself into. Dilligaf2010
  • Score: 1

8:05pm Tue 13 May 14

Redbulls says...

Dilligaf2010 wrote:
Redbulls wrote:
benga wrote:
Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.
it cost him nothing !! Taylor Woodrow built it Firoz paid nothing for it with his offshore company ... Taylor never bothered chasing the £millions as in legal fees it would have cost them more than the money they were trying to recover ( fact)
Taylor Woodrow started building it in 1996........3 years before Firoz Kassam bought the club, and stopped building it 1997, 2 years before he bought the club.
If Firoz hadn't bought the club in 1999, Birse Construction wouldn't have finished the construction, which recommenced in 2000.

Personally I hate football, don't care what happens to the stadium, but don't think someone should be getting slagged off, when it was in fact his money that got the club out of the financial mess it had got itself into.
i the above comments who has slagged him off ?? no one , i think the judgement is good and i hope the club could be bought by the fans ... Firoz only really wanted the cinema hotel etc and the fans want the club , he made a lot of money from sale of the manor ground , im sure people do appreciate what he has done for the club ... we have moved on from that and looking to future
[quote][p][bold]Dilligaf2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Redbulls[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]benga[/bold] wrote: Great news. There is seemingly no way we will be able to raise the many of millions of pounds required to buy the stadium, but any little battle against Firoz Kassam is worth winning.[/p][/quote]it cost him nothing !! Taylor Woodrow built it Firoz paid nothing for it with his offshore company ... Taylor never bothered chasing the £millions as in legal fees it would have cost them more than the money they were trying to recover ( fact)[/p][/quote]Taylor Woodrow started building it in 1996........3 years before Firoz Kassam bought the club, and stopped building it 1997, 2 years before he bought the club. If Firoz hadn't bought the club in 1999, Birse Construction wouldn't have finished the construction, which recommenced in 2000. Personally I hate football, don't care what happens to the stadium, but don't think someone should be getting slagged off, when it was in fact his money that got the club out of the financial mess it had got itself into.[/p][/quote]i the above comments who has slagged him off ?? no one , i think the judgement is good and i hope the club could be bought by the fans ... Firoz only really wanted the cinema hotel etc and the fans want the club , he made a lot of money from sale of the manor ground , im sure people do appreciate what he has done for the club ... we have moved on from that and looking to future Redbulls
  • Score: 2

11:01pm Tue 13 May 14

Dilligaf2010 says...

deedee444 wrote:
Can people who know nothing about football please just not comment....Kassam is a reviled slum landlord who used our football club to make a shedload of cash on the back of broken promises,he continues to leech and must be the most detested slimeball of recent times....I for one wish him every ill and curse him at every opportunity.
Oh sorry, I didn't realise one had to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of football to be able to comment.
No matter what you think about the bloke, if he hadn't turned up in 1999, Oxford United may well have ended up as Headington United again.
Where is he leeching money from, he's not owned the club for the past 8 years?
[quote][p][bold]deedee444[/bold] wrote: Can people who know nothing about football please just not comment....Kassam is a reviled slum landlord who used our football club to make a shedload of cash on the back of broken promises,he continues to leech and must be the most detested slimeball of recent times....I for one wish him every ill and curse him at every opportunity.[/p][/quote]Oh sorry, I didn't realise one had to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of football to be able to comment. No matter what you think about the bloke, if he hadn't turned up in 1999, Oxford United may well have ended up as Headington United again. Where is he leeching money from, he's not owned the club for the past 8 years? Dilligaf2010
  • Score: -2

11:19pm Tue 13 May 14

Sid Snakey says...

Usually, when wealthy individuals buy football clubs, that club benefits from an injection of investment into either the playing side of things, the club infrastructure such as the stadium, or both.

Another common factor in such situations is that the wealthy benefactor ends up with less money than when he started, due to getting carried away with trying to win trophies and titles, unless in the process of improving the club he manages to seriously increase its value.

Kassam gave an expert lesson in demonstrating that such traditions are for the weak, sentimental and senseless.

Under his tenure we dropped out of the Football League entirely, with him managing to sell just before he was lynched.

Under his tenure we completely lost our stadium (small, compact, characterful, ours) and exchanged it for a horrible, soul-less, windswept, incomplete, monstrosity.

He, meanwhile, gained a new property portfolio and a sitting tenant. In essence, we were asset-stripped.

Yes, the club had got itself into a financial mess, and sadly we were preyed upon by a very shrewd businessman who showed it is possible to make huge wadges of cash out of football club ownership.

I had this sudden realisation the other day. I actually wish we had not been "saved" by Kassam. I wish the club had folded. We could have all been upset for a year, then got on with our lives and either spent Saturdays usefully with our families or something, or maybe picked a Premiership club and watched some decent football.

Instead we find ourselves in the purgatory of being unable to move on from the club we loved as a kid, and spending £50 every other Saturday watching something that only us fools can call football, knowing full well we actually, really died the day Kassam took over, and that the glory days are a dim and distant past, never to be regained.

As small as this victory is, any way of irritating Firoz Kassam is worthy of celebration.
Usually, when wealthy individuals buy football clubs, that club benefits from an injection of investment into either the playing side of things, the club infrastructure such as the stadium, or both. Another common factor in such situations is that the wealthy benefactor ends up with less money than when he started, due to getting carried away with trying to win trophies and titles, unless in the process of improving the club he manages to seriously increase its value. Kassam gave an expert lesson in demonstrating that such traditions are for the weak, sentimental and senseless. Under his tenure we dropped out of the Football League entirely, with him managing to sell just before he was lynched. Under his tenure we completely lost our stadium (small, compact, characterful, ours) and exchanged it for a horrible, soul-less, windswept, incomplete, monstrosity. He, meanwhile, gained a new property portfolio and a sitting tenant. In essence, we were asset-stripped. Yes, the club had got itself into a financial mess, and sadly we were preyed upon by a very shrewd businessman who showed it is possible to make huge wadges of cash out of football club ownership. I had this sudden realisation the other day. I actually wish we had not been "saved" by Kassam. I wish the club had folded. We could have all been upset for a year, then got on with our lives and either spent Saturdays usefully with our families or something, or maybe picked a Premiership club and watched some decent football. Instead we find ourselves in the purgatory of being unable to move on from the club we loved as a kid, and spending £50 every other Saturday watching something that only us fools can call football, knowing full well we actually, really died the day Kassam took over, and that the glory days are a dim and distant past, never to be regained. As small as this victory is, any way of irritating Firoz Kassam is worthy of celebration. Sid Snakey
  • Score: 8

5:03pm Wed 14 May 14

marathon2012 says...

why don't we buy the greyhound track redevelop and have a new stadium nice compact stadium just like the manor used to be.Happy days
why don't we buy the greyhound track redevelop and have a new stadium nice compact stadium just like the manor used to be.Happy days marathon2012
  • Score: 3

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree