Report this comment
  • "
    swalker260 wrote:
    I am concerned hat Constable who could have gone to a bigger club but stayed loyal to us has been offered less money and that is maybe why he has not yet accepted the offer You cannot turn round and accept any offer without considering your options and the impact on your family particularly where the manager states it is a fair offer To get another striker in with his experience will cost more my concern is that we will end up with a team of no names and no skill and no hope
    Why should we give a toss how it affects him? If he wants to go, go. We can do better, much better. Plenty of young hungry strikers out there waiting for a chance. Constable plays with heart and vigour which is commendable but he is sadly lacking is so many other areas. He couldn't trap a bag of cement and his first touch is abysmal. We already have a team of no names, Skill and hope. That's why our end of season form was abject. Get players in who want to play for OUFC and fight for the shirt, if he's having 2nd thoughts he can eff off. Our concerns are the club, I couldn't give 2 hoots about his whims and if he thinks he can do better, ta ta....."
  • This field is mandatory
  • This field is mandatory
  • Please note we will not accept reports with HTML tags or URLs in them.


  • Enter the above word in the box below

Oxford United duo told to make decision by end of week

James Constable

James Constable

First published in Headlines Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Chief Sports Reporter covering Oxford United. Follow us on twitter: @oxfordmailoufc. Call me on 01865 425458

GARY Waddock wants answers from James Constable and Tom Newey about their futures by the end of this week.

The pair were the only players out of contract at Oxford United this summer to be offered new deals last week.

They have spent the weekend considering the terms and Waddock wants a resolution in the next few days so both parties know where they stand.

The U’s head coach said: “Players will want to consider their options, which is fair enough.

“But I also have to consider what I need to do here for this club.

“If you allow it to drag on through the summer it doesn’t help anybody and I would like a quick answer.

“They either want to be a part of it, or they don’t, but saying that I want both of the players here.”

Along with captain Jake Wright, who had an additional season clause activated by the club, Constable was the highest-profile United player out of contract this summer.

The 29-year-old is the longest-serving member of the squad, has been their top-scorer for the last six seasons and is just two goals away from becoming their all-time top marksman.

Newey was only signed last summer, but was United’s first choice left back all season, making 47 starts in all competitions.

Waddock made it clear the ball was in the players’ court and felt the deals were fair.

He said: “In the current climate, the salaries they’ve been offered are good.

“If you look at any football club now you have to be mindful of the figures you are banding about.

“It’s up to the players whether they want to be a part of it.

“We’ve offered them contracts because we want them here, it’s as simple as that.”

  • Latest United News:

Oxford United's young guns relishing Manchester City clash

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Thursday 18th December 2014

OXFORD United’s rising stars will get a taste of the big time tonight as they attempt a giant-killing against Manchester City in the FA Youth Cup (7).

Roberts pushes claims for Oxford United recall after featuring in development squad victory

Oxford Mail:

6:30pm Wednesday 17th December 2014

JAMES Roberts edged closer to a first-team return for Oxford United after playing in a 2-0 win for the development side at Bournemouth.

Jake Wright's frustration as Oxford United miss out on Swansea clash

Oxford Mail:

9:30am Wednesday 17th December 2014

OXFORD United’s shot at hosting Swansea City in the new year disappeared as they paid the price for failing to kill off Tranmere Rovers in their FA Cup second-round replay.

Tranmere Rovers 2 (Odejayi 36, Power 76), Oxford United 1 (Potter 29)

Oxford Mail: oxford united logo 1200pix

9:42pm Tuesday 16th December 2014

OXFORD United's FA Cup hopes came to an end as they let a lead slip to lose their second round replay against Tranmere Rovers at a sodden Prenton Park.

Michael Appleton: Depleted Oxford United will attack FA Cup replay

Oxford Mail:

8:00am Tuesday 16th December 2014

A lack of strikers will not stop Oxford United going on the attack against Tranmere Rovers in their FA Cup second round replay tonight, says head coach Michael Appleton.

Comments (15)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree