CRICKET: Haupt hits ton as Oxfordshire win warm-up

Craig Haupt places one through the covers during his fine 100 for Oxfordshire in their warm-up victory over Buckinghamshire at Aston Rowant yesterday

Craig Haupt places one through the covers during his fine 100 for Oxfordshire in their warm-up victory over Buckinghamshire at Aston Rowant yesterday

First published in Other Competitions Oxford Mail: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy Sports Editor. Call me on 01865 425457

CRAIG Haupt scored an unbeaten century as Oxfordshire beat Buckinghamshire by six wickets in a one-day friendly at a bitterly cold Aston Rowant yesterday.

The big Banbury left-hander made 100 before retiring hurt with an elbow injury as Oxon successfully chased down the Bucks total of 204 with more than 12 overs to spare.

The home county were on top after winning the toss and immediately reducing Bucks to 13-3, a position from which they never truly recovered.

Tom Geeson-Brown found a purler to trap former England one-day star Mal Loye lbw third ball. A run out compounded Bucks’ problems and when two more wickets left the visitors at 73-5, an early finished looked likely.

Joel Pope, with a fluent 66 of 69 balls, and skipper Jason Harrison added 59 before the latter fell victim to a front-foot lbw decision – a trend that is likely to increase following the Hawkeye technology.

Tom Helm’s 39 guided Bucks to 204 all out, with 2.5 of their 50-over allocation left unbowled.

Nathan Hawkes picked up three wickets with his seamers while left-arm spinner Luke Ryan proved the most economical.

With a flat pitch and a fast outfield, this total was 80 runs short of par, but Oxon made a poor start, losing Richard Kaufman and Alex Jewell cheaply.

Haupt, who survived a steepling chance when on seven, and Hawkes then produced the match-winning third-wicket stand of 163 at a run-a-ball.

Hawkes, who struck 17 off an over from Vikram Banerjee’s left-arm spin, departed for 71 made off 63 balls with ten fours and a six.

Haupt reached his century off 113 balls, with 13 fours and a six to take Oxon to the brink of a comfortable win.

This was an encouraging display for Oxon, before they open their Minor Counties Trophy match against Cornwall at St Austell next Sunday, when Rob Williams, Daniel Rowe and Chad Keegan will be available for selection.

Comments (14)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:18am Mon 16 Apr 12

Flat one says...

They were using Hawk Eye at Aston Rowant?!
They were using Hawk Eye at Aston Rowant?! Flat one
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Talent Scout says...

Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!!

Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!!
Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!! Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!! Talent Scout
  • Score: 0

2:20pm Mon 16 Apr 12

bowl-at-the-wickets says...

'talent scout', I would love to understand your point of view but I simply can't, as it's complete nonsense.
Why would an Oxfordshire Cricket Side be predominantly picked from anywhere else other than from the teams who are playing the highest level of cricket in the county?
It is like wondering why the current England test side isn't picked from minor county sides?

Please respond with your thoughts on that and also the names of these village cricketers that need a chance to play for Oxfordshire.
'talent scout', I would love to understand your point of view but I simply can't, as it's complete nonsense. Why would an Oxfordshire Cricket Side be predominantly picked from anywhere else other than from the teams who are playing the highest level of cricket in the county? It is like wondering why the current England test side isn't picked from minor county sides? Please respond with your thoughts on that and also the names of these village cricketers that need a chance to play for Oxfordshire. bowl-at-the-wickets
  • Score: 0

4:04pm Mon 16 Apr 12

Talent Scout says...

My point is that it is a friendly and a chance to pick some future talent mixed in with current players. Unlike professional sport not all of the best players are at the best sides as the Taylor boys have proved by getting picked by Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire from their “Village” side, Jonny Cater had a great debut season in Minor Counties last year while playing in the Cherwell League. Is it not possible good cricketers can play at a slightly lower level? I’m not suggesting we pick players from OCA div 10 as your reaction would imply!!
My point is that it is a friendly and a chance to pick some future talent mixed in with current players. Unlike professional sport not all of the best players are at the best sides as the Taylor boys have proved by getting picked by Gloucestershire and Oxfordshire from their “Village” side, Jonny Cater had a great debut season in Minor Counties last year while playing in the Cherwell League. Is it not possible good cricketers can play at a slightly lower level? I’m not suggesting we pick players from OCA div 10 as your reaction would imply!! Talent Scout
  • Score: 0

10:36pm Mon 16 Apr 12

bowl-at-the-wickets says...

The taylor boys were involved with Gloucestershire and the Oxfordshire youth set up from a young age, developed by Great Tew but not picked through strong performances in their first team. Johnny Cater scored runs for the Oxfordshire development side quite heavily prior to his Minor counties debut.

Oxfordshire start their season next week away to Cornwall, are you suggesting they use their only warmup game to expand their squad further?

Thank you for your response to my thoughts 'talent scout', but you still fail to name any cricketers........ I would love to hear who you have been scouting.
The taylor boys were involved with Gloucestershire and the Oxfordshire youth set up from a young age, developed by Great Tew but not picked through strong performances in their first team. Johnny Cater scored runs for the Oxfordshire development side quite heavily prior to his Minor counties debut. Oxfordshire start their season next week away to Cornwall, are you suggesting they use their only warmup game to expand their squad further? Thank you for your response to my thoughts 'talent scout', but you still fail to name any cricketers........ I would love to hear who you have been scouting. bowl-at-the-wickets
  • Score: 0

11:46am Tue 17 Apr 12

mr_cricket says...

Hahaha, I aggree with you Bowl at te wickets, why bother picking players who aren't performing at the top level.

Lee Trundle looked a good player playing in lower divisions! hahah
Hahaha, I aggree with you Bowl at te wickets, why bother picking players who aren't performing at the top level. Lee Trundle looked a good player playing in lower divisions! hahah mr_cricket
  • Score: 0

1:59pm Tue 17 Apr 12

Cedarox says...

Interesting, but I'm sure I have seen a name or two from this team in their Clubs second team averages last year in the Cherwell league while their firsts where playing home counties.

Best I look up fathers name on the OCB website for contact details!
Interesting, but I'm sure I have seen a name or two from this team in their Clubs second team averages last year in the Cherwell league while their firsts where playing home counties. Best I look up fathers name on the OCB website for contact details! Cedarox
  • Score: 0

10:29pm Tue 17 Apr 12

new to the area says...

Talent Scout wrote:
Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!!

Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!!
Astute observation, with an average age of less than 25 the team are clearly past their sell by date.
[quote][p][bold]Talent Scout[/bold] wrote: Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!! Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!![/p][/quote]Astute observation, with an average age of less than 25 the team are clearly past their sell by date. new to the area
  • Score: 0

5:06pm Thu 19 Apr 12

The Moon on a Stick says...

new to the area wrote:
Talent Scout wrote: Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!! Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!!
Astute observation, with an average age of less than 25 the team are clearly past their sell by date.
Not sure about including any cherwell boys but, more interestingly, the average age of the team at 25 is some 15 or so digits higher than the captain's 2011 championship batting average; at least according to this anyway:

http://oxfordshirecc
c.play-cricket.com/p
rofile/statistics.as
p?id=11506394.

Food for thought...
[quote][p][bold]new to the area[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Talent Scout[/bold] wrote: Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!! Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!![/p][/quote]Astute observation, with an average age of less than 25 the team are clearly past their sell by date.[/p][/quote]Not sure about including any cherwell boys but, more interestingly, the average age of the team at 25 is some 15 or so digits higher than the captain's 2011 championship batting average; at least according to this anyway: http://oxfordshirecc c.play-cricket.com/p rofile/statistics.as p?id=11506394. Food for thought... The Moon on a Stick
  • Score: 0

11:04am Fri 20 Apr 12

Flat one says...

Well done Moon, anonymous personal attacks on people are the funniest. Keep them coming.
Well done Moon, anonymous personal attacks on people are the funniest. Keep them coming. Flat one
  • Score: 0

1:18pm Fri 20 Apr 12

new to the area says...

The Moon on a Stick wrote:
new to the area wrote:
Talent Scout wrote: Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!! Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!!
Astute observation, with an average age of less than 25 the team are clearly past their sell by date.
Not sure about including any cherwell boys but, more interestingly, the average age of the team at 25 is some 15 or so digits higher than the captain's 2011 championship batting average; at least according to this anyway:

http://oxfordshirecc

c.play-cricket.com/p

rofile/statistics.as

p?id=11506394.

Food for thought...
Moon on a Stick - there is a selector vacancy - why don't you apply. I am sure the OCB would love to hear you views on a creating a balanced team, continuity and building a balanced squad.
[quote][p][bold]The Moon on a Stick[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]new to the area[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Talent Scout[/bold] wrote: Not Many Cherwell League boys as per usual, could have given them a go in the friendly instead of the “tried and tested” old guard!! Yet more short sightedness from the selectors!!! Another frustrating season ahead!! Obviously not using Hawk Eye “flat one”, think about it!![/p][/quote]Astute observation, with an average age of less than 25 the team are clearly past their sell by date.[/p][/quote]Not sure about including any cherwell boys but, more interestingly, the average age of the team at 25 is some 15 or so digits higher than the captain's 2011 championship batting average; at least according to this anyway: http://oxfordshirecc c.play-cricket.com/p rofile/statistics.as p?id=11506394. Food for thought...[/p][/quote]Moon on a Stick - there is a selector vacancy - why don't you apply. I am sure the OCB would love to hear you views on a creating a balanced team, continuity and building a balanced squad. new to the area
  • Score: 0

9:04pm Fri 20 Apr 12

oufc03 says...

Minor County cricket should surely be played for players looking to gain the opportunity to push into 1st class cricket..

Haupt, Hawtin, Williams, you boys are to old now do one...free up space for younger more talented lads coming through who have the chance of maybe getting spotted for first class cricket.

Bunch of old faggots don't know when to give it up !! That goes for the selectors as well !!
Minor County cricket should surely be played for players looking to gain the opportunity to push into 1st class cricket.. Haupt, Hawtin, Williams, you boys are to old now do one...free up space for younger more talented lads coming through who have the chance of maybe getting spotted for first class cricket. Bunch of old faggots don't know when to give it up !! That goes for the selectors as well !! oufc03
  • Score: 0

11:41pm Fri 20 Apr 12

new to the area says...

oufc03 wrote:
Minor County cricket should surely be played for players looking to gain the opportunity to push into 1st class cricket..

Haupt, Hawtin, Williams, you boys are to old now do one...free up space for younger more talented lads coming through who have the chance of maybe getting spotted for first class cricket.

Bunch of old faggots don't know when to give it up !! That goes for the selectors as well !!
You really are a very knowledgeable commentator on Oxfordshire Cricket.
[quote][p][bold]oufc03[/bold] wrote: Minor County cricket should surely be played for players looking to gain the opportunity to push into 1st class cricket.. Haupt, Hawtin, Williams, you boys are to old now do one...free up space for younger more talented lads coming through who have the chance of maybe getting spotted for first class cricket. Bunch of old faggots don't know when to give it up !! That goes for the selectors as well !![/p][/quote]You really are a very knowledgeable commentator on Oxfordshire Cricket. new to the area
  • Score: 0

6:34pm Sat 21 Apr 12

oufc03 says...

I Know
I Know oufc03
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree