Get involved: send your photos, videos, news & views by texting OXFORD NEWS to 80360 or email us
Oxford United wait on new Rovers offer for Constable
9:00am Thursday 31st May 2012 in Sport
The U’s confirmed a formal approach for their top scorer had been rejected, but it is unlikely to end the dialogue.
It is rare for clubs to accept the first offers, so further negotiation with the west country club is likely.
U’s chairman Kelvin Thomas said: “Over the past season, James has attracted interest from a variety of clubs and further interest is not really a surprise.
“We have received a formal offer for James from Bristol Rovers, but we have turned it down.”
It is the second time in six months a bid has been tabled for ‘Beano’, who scored twice against Rovers in a 3-0 home win last October and is fifth on the United’s all-time top-scorers list with 80 goals.
In January, a second offer from rivals Swindon Town – believed to be in the region of £225,000 – was accepted, only for the player to reject a move.
It delighted the U’s fans, but Constable went on to have a poor finish to the season, scoring just twice in his last 19 appearances.
Thomas believes the speculation around the potential transfer was a contributory factor.
He said: “I think some of the Swindon stuff did affect him – more so after getting sent off against Swindon (in March).
“I think James, like a lot of the squad, didn’t finish the season like we would have all hoped, but I think there will always be interest.”
The U’s have also been linked with a transfer into the squad.
They are among the clubs reportedly interested in Jon Shaw, who netted 28 times in 43 games for Gateshead in the Blue Square Bet Premier last season.
The 28-year-old spent a season playing for United boss Chris Wilder while they were at Halifax Town, scoring 20 goals, and it is rumoured the pair could be reunited this summer.