NORTH Leigh made a dream start to their first visit to Edgar Street by taking a third-minute lead away to runaway Division 1 South & West leaders Hereford on Saturday.

But the hosts recovered from this early shock to record a 4-1 victory which effectively ends the Oxfordshire side’s slim chances of making the


The Millers came into the game without keeper Manny Agboola, injured in the midweek victory over Oxford City in the Oxfordshire Cup semi-final, but were not overawed.

They took the lead when a corner, taken by Michael Hopkins, was only half-cleared to Josh Thomas standing wide right in the Hereford half.

His deep cross to the far post was headed home by centre-back Matt Sysum to stunned silence from the large crowd.

The lead lasted only seven minutes before Hereford’s Jimmy Oates threaded a ball through to former Millers’ striker John Mills, who scored with a well-placed shot on the turn past stand-in keeper Lewis Clayton.

The hosts had to wait until the 42nd minute before taking the lead through defender Mark Preece, who bundled the ball over the line from close range after Joel Edwards’s far-post cross.

North Leigh, who had to replace injured midfielder Josh Thomas with winger Roger James at half-time, fell further behind in the 68th minute when Pablo Haysham won a free-kick, which he then curled over the wall and past Clayton’s outstretched left hand.

The Millers threw caution to the wind, but although they attacked the home goal with substitutes Stuart Hole and Morgan Williams adding fresh legs, they could not break down a solid home rearguard.

Right at the death, they conceded a penalty as Will Wellon was adjudged to have fouled winger Tristan Plummer, who scored the resultant spot kick.

North Leigh: Clayton, Lymn, D James (Hole 82), Turk, Wellon, Sysum, Thomas (R James 45), L Williams, Seacole, Cook (M Williams 65), Hopkins. Subs not used: Gunn, Wyatt.

Attendance: 2474

Wantage Town are not going down without a battle, as indicated by their spirited 1-0 victory at home to fellow relegation candidates Bridgwater Town

In a match dominated by defences, Todd Hathaway scored the winner with a glancing header in the 40th minute.

Wantage held on without alarm in the second half to stretch the advantage over their bottom-placed opponents to seven points.

Didcot Town were unable to record back-to-back wins as they lost 2-1 at Barnstaple Town.

George Jeacock had Didcot’s best chance of the first half, but saw his shot well saved.

The visitors were punished in the 38th minute, when Sam Elkins brought down Steve Holland just inside the box, and James Blake fired the penalty past Harry Whitehead.

Didcot equalised in the 70th minute when Adam Learoyd headed home.

Barnstaple scored the winner ten minutes later as Whitehead’s throw-out fell to Lee Francis who lobbed the stranded keeper.

Didcot: H Whitehead, Elkins, Janes, Thomas (Barder 65), Cattel, Learoyd, Thorne (Andrady 69), McNish, B Whitehead, Jeacock, Reid. Sub not used: Longford.

Ten-man Kidlington could not hold on to their early lead as they went down 4-2 away to Barton Rovers in their Division 1 Central clash.

Keeper Sam Warrell was sent off in the second half.

The visitors took the lead in the 27th minute when Lewis Coyle bent an effort into the net from 20 yards for another outstanding goal.

Barton equalised when Scott Sinclair hit a rocket of a shot over Warrell and in off the underside of the bar.

Straight after injured Kidlington midfielder Elliott Osborne-Ricketts had been replaced, the hosts took the lead through Steve Gentle’s header.

Warrell was then sent off after bringing down home striker Connor Calcutt.

However, Kidlington drew level when Anaclet Odhiambo fitedhome his 26th goal of the season in the 66th minute.

A minute later, Kidlington’s substitute keeper Bojan Tetek made a good save to deny Tommy Smith, but the ball fell lose and Elliott Bailey poked home to put Barton 3-2 in front.

The hosts sealed the result with their killer fourth goal.

Tetek again saved a blistering shot, but the rebound was this time poked home by Sinclair.

Kidlington: Warrell, Quainton, Castle, Willoughby (Whitehead 79), Franklin, Gabbidon, Coyle, Osborne-Ricketts (Dunmall 55), A Odhiambo, E Odhiambo, Janes (Tetek 65). Sub not used: Harvey.

Attendance: 85.