Canadian defenceman Kyle Flemington has quit Oxford City Stars and signed for Edinburgh Capitals for an undisclosed fee – just seven weeks after joining.
The 6ft 7½ins giant has grabbed the chance to play in the Elite League – a level two tiers above Oxford, who are in the top division of the National League.
It leaves Stars facing a race against time to sign another import ahead of the league opener at Invicta Dynamos on Saturday, September 13.
However, they have already identified a potential replacement for Flemington.
Coach Darren Elliott said: “We’re disappointed to have lost Kyle to Edinburgh, but we’d never stand in the way of a player who has the opportunity to play at a higher level.
“We wish him all the best at the Capitals. We’ve got somebody in mind to replace him – somebody we’ve had our eyes on for a while, but wasn’t available until now.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Patient Joe Rothwell hoping first Oxford United start left a lasting impression
- Chris Maguire surprised to become viral star with Oxford United goal celebration
- Michael Appleton urges Oxford United to believe they belong at Bramall Lane
- Chris Wilder: No place for Sheffield United to hide in "massive" game with Oxford United
- Oxford United confident new scoreboard will be installed shortly
- Benji Buchel call-up raises issue of Oxford United recalling Jack Stevens’ loan from Oxford City
- My Oxford United debut is a boost for all the club's youngsters - Miles Welch-Hayes
- OxVox column: Oxford United make a difference, thanks to generous supporters
- I moved to Oxford United to realise potential, says Ryan Ledson
- Michael Appleton happy with Oxford United options after Ryan Ledson's arrival