Anna Tipton, from Didcot, was Britain’s hero as they came from behind to beat Belgium in their goalball international on Saturday, writes STUART WEIR.
Goalball – a three-a-side game for players with visual impairment – was returning to the Copper Box Arena for the first time since the 2012 Paralympics as part of National Paralympic Day, with Prince Edward’s presence making it a royal occasion.
Tipton, who works as a NHS physiotherapist in the East Oxford Health Centre, Cowley, came off the bench to score a hat-trick as Britain turned a 5-2 half-time deficit into a 7-5 victory.
Tipton (pictured), who played all GB’s games in London 2012, said: “It was a bit of shock to my system to start on the bench – I haven’t done that for a while – but it was great to see some of our new players getting a chance.
“It is nice for someone like me who has been around for donkey’s years to be able to watch the younger players progress.
“It was really nostalgic to be back in the Copper Box.
“It is not the same as the Paralympics – how can it be – but it still feels like coming home.”
Her next tournament is the European Championships at the end of September.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Christian Ribeiro: Oxford United's displays against Exeter City convinced me to sign
- GOLF: Lucie Feaver is primed to take on world’s best at Junior World Championships
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Oxford United lose to Bristol City but Laura Rafferty bids to make most of loan chance
- FOOTBALL: Danny Nicholls steps up to become Oxford City's joint manager
- MOTORSPORT: Sean Walkinshaw frustrated by puncture at Paul Ricard
- FOOTBALL: Abingdon Town quit the North Berks League
- DARTS: Pairs keep Democrats on track
- DARTS: Blackbird Leys Warriors recognised for Super League triumph
- Sam Slocombe and Max Crocombe told they can leave Oxford United
- ATHLETICS: Lawrence Clarke and Nathan Douglas selected for European Championships