Anna Tipton, from Didcot, was Britain’s hero as they came from behind to beat Belgium in their goalball international on Saturday, writes STUART WEIR.
Goalball – a three-a-side game for players with visual impairment – was returning to the Copper Box Arena for the first time since the 2012 Paralympics as part of National Paralympic Day, with Prince Edward’s presence making it a royal occasion.
Tipton, who works as a NHS physiotherapist in the East Oxford Health Centre, Cowley, came off the bench to score a hat-trick as Britain turned a 5-2 half-time deficit into a 7-5 victory.
Tipton (pictured), who played all GB’s games in London 2012, said: “It was a bit of shock to my system to start on the bench – I haven’t done that for a while – but it was great to see some of our new players getting a chance.
“It is nice for someone like me who has been around for donkey’s years to be able to watch the younger players progress.
“It was really nostalgic to be back in the Copper Box.
“It is not the same as the Paralympics – how can it be – but it still feels like coming home.”
Her next tournament is the European Championships at the end of September.
Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Darryl Eales: Takeover rumours 'unhelpful' to Oxford United's player recruitment
- DARTS: Democrats find it hard in ODDA top-flight opener
- RUGBY UNION: Twickenham news is thrill for Oxfordshire head coach Craig Burrows
- FOOTBALL: Oxford United Women looking towards brighter future after finishing bottom
- RUGBY LEAGUE: Josh Atkinson at the double as Oxford beat South Wales Ironmen
- BOXING: Jordan Flynn ready for 'massive opportunity' in England v Scotland Dual
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith proud of KTM progress in MotoGP
- GOLF: Frilford Heath deal with downpour to deliver EuroPro Tour event
- Oxford United and Oxford City excited over new partnership at Court Place Farm
- MOTORSPORT: Bradley Smith secures 12th place in France