OXFORD City general manager Justin Merritt said he was proud of his players despite defeat at Harrogate Town on Saturday.
City’s unbeaten start to the Vanarama Conference North season came to an end with a 1-0 loss in Yorkshire, but Merritt remained upbeat.
“I’m proud of the way we took the game to Harrogate, who are in a false position,” he said.
“It’s a long season and we’ve taken a step in the right direction today.
“As long as they keep putting in the performances and keep improving as a unit then we’re going to do well.”
City are a much-changed side from the one which struggled last season and Merritt has backed them to continue to improve over the course of this season.
He added: “Everyone who was at the game today will see that this is a good Oxford City team who are very new.
“By the time we’ve really gelled and we’re going into the Christmas period, I genuinely believe we’ll have some exciting times ahead.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's victory at Rochdale
- Oxford United's win at Rochdale made amends for setbacks at AFC Wimbledon and Port Vale - Michael Appleton
- RUGBY UNION: Conor Kearns elected Oxford University captain
- Rochdale 0, Oxford United 4 (Johnson 18, Hall 29, Taylor 53, Ledson 73)
- UPDATES - Rochdale v Oxford United
- Oxford United handed boost with key Rochdale defender serving suspension
- Marvin Johnson looking for more of the same when Oxford United visit Rochdale
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re recharged for busy league and cup schedule
- SWIMMING: David Murphy delivers masterclass to set more records at Arena Pro Swim Series
- TABLE TENNIS: Bicester squeeze past Holton in Aubrey Hughes Handicap Shield opener