OXFORD City general manager Justin Merritt said he was proud of his players despite defeat at Harrogate Town on Saturday.
City’s unbeaten start to the Vanarama Conference North season came to an end with a 1-0 loss in Yorkshire, but Merritt remained upbeat.
“I’m proud of the way we took the game to Harrogate, who are in a false position,” he said.
“It’s a long season and we’ve taken a step in the right direction today.
“As long as they keep putting in the performances and keep improving as a unit then we’re going to do well.”
City are a much-changed side from the one which struggled last season and Merritt has backed them to continue to improve over the course of this season.
He added: “Everyone who was at the game today will see that this is a good Oxford City team who are very new.
“By the time we’ve really gelled and we’re going into the Christmas period, I genuinely believe we’ll have some exciting times ahead.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United hope Dan Crowley signing is start of lasting loan link with Arsenal
- MARTIAL ARTS: Vale Taekwon-Do club so close to glory in Cardiff
- GOLF: Late slump gives Eddie Pepperell a nervous wait to make cut in Paris
- ANGLING: Doug Foreshew claims top prize in Kidlington's Dave Britnell Cup
- SWIMMING: City of Oxford land huge medal haul
- YOUTH CRICKET: Turner leads from the front in Oxfordshire victory
- MOTORSPORT: Austria race will suit us, said Williams driver Valtteri Bottas
- Arsenal youngster Dan Crowley joins Oxford United on a season-long loan
- Oxford United arrange second game for pre-season trip to Spain
- Oxford United season ticket sales set to break new ground at Kassam Stadium