OXFORD City general manager Justin Merritt said he was proud of his players despite defeat at Harrogate Town on Saturday.
City’s unbeaten start to the Vanarama Conference North season came to an end with a 1-0 loss in Yorkshire, but Merritt remained upbeat.
“I’m proud of the way we took the game to Harrogate, who are in a false position,” he said.
“It’s a long season and we’ve taken a step in the right direction today.
“As long as they keep putting in the performances and keep improving as a unit then we’re going to do well.”
City are a much-changed side from the one which struggled last season and Merritt has backed them to continue to improve over the course of this season.
He added: “Everyone who was at the game today will see that this is a good Oxford City team who are very new.
“By the time we’ve really gelled and we’re going into the Christmas period, I genuinely believe we’ll have some exciting times ahead.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United beat transfer deadline to sign top target Marvin Johnson
- Transfer deadline day - rolling blog
- Oxford United sign defender Charlie Raglan on loan from Chesterfield
- Oxford United strongly linked with late deadline day move for Marvin Johnson
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's Checkatrade Trophy win against Exeter City
- Oxford United youngsters expected to make loan moves to non-league after deadline day
- Small Checkatrade Trophy gate at Oxford United cannot take gloss off Tyler Roberts's first professional goal
- AUNT SALLY: Jon Townsend clangs off 15 dolls as Swan stay top
- CRICKET: Minster Lovell seal Airey Cup glory and stay on track for treble
- CRICKET: Oxford Downs and Abingdon promoted from Cherwell League Division 2