GREAT Britain’s men’s eight successfully defended their title with a stunning display in Amsterdam yesterday.
The octet consisted of Oxford Brookes University BC’s Matt Tarrant, Oxford University BC’s Constantine Louloudis plus Will Satch, Matt Gotrel, Pete Reed, Tom Ransley and cox Phelan Hill from the Leander Club at Henley, together with Nathaniel Reilly-O’Donnell and Paul Bennett They led from 1,000m and beat Germany by just 0.6secs with Poland taking the bronze.
It was an impressive performance from the eight, who lost Oxford’s Andy Triggs Hodge, Leander’s Alex Gregory plus Moe Sbihi and George Nash to the men’s four, which won gold on Saturday.
The men’s lightweight four of Oxford Brookes University BC’s Peter Chambers plus his brother, Richard, and Chris Bartley, both from Leander, and Mark Aldred claimed bronze in their final.
Denmark powered to victory with New Zealand second.
As well as the men’s four’s success on Saturday, Helen Glover and Heather Stanning claimed gold in the women’s pair.
The men’s pair of James Foad and Leander’s Matthew Langridge took silver behind defending champions New Zealand.
Graeme Thomas and Sam Townsend plus Leander duo Charles Cousins and Peter Lambert missed out on gold by just 0.09secs in the men’s quadruple as they finished behind Ukraine.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Roger James bags brace as North Leigh beat youthful Oxford United to lift Oxfordshire Senior Cup
- HORSE RACING: Mark Bradstock thrilled with Coneygree's return to action
- FOOTBALL: Arran Gray’s hat-trick clinches North Berks League Division 4 title for Blewbury
- FOOTBALL: Superlative Kidlington make it perfect season in Oxford Mail Under 12 Girls League
- FOOTBALL: Chequers win dramatic Oxford City FA Premier Cup final on penalties
- FOOTBALL: Dan Bott’s brace helps Chipping Norton to finish fourth in Witney & District FA Premier Division
- FOOTBALL: Oxford City’s ladies ease to cup final win
- FOOTBALL: Wayne Blossom shines with double as KEA secure Oxfordshire Junior Shield
- YOUTH FOOTBALL: George Corti’s four-timer is in vain for Botley Boys
- Roger James double sees North Leigh beat Oxford United to lift Oxon Senior Cup