TOM Newey says Oxford United would go a long way to turning their form around by scoring the first goal when they host Dagenham & Redbridge tomorrow.
Michael Appleton’s men have fallen behind in all six of their league and cup games so far this season.
In total, they have been in front for just three minutes – when Danny Hylton struck a late winner at Bristol City in the Capital One Cup.
By contrast, they have been behind for almost four and a half hours.
Newey knows just how key getting in front will be as United bid to claim their first league win of the campaign.
He said: “I think there’s a statistic that if you score the first goal at this level then 70 per cent of the games you go on to avoid defeat.
“That’s a massive stat and we’re not managing to do it at the moment.
“Yet there’s a lot of encouraging signs, we are creating numerous chances and sooner rather than later it has to turn in our favour.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- VIDEO: Highlights from Oxford United's FA Cup clash with Middlesbrough
- Oxford United's late FA Cup defeat is 'sickener' - Chris Maguire
- Middlesbrough 3 (Leadbitter 26, Gestede 34, Stuani 86), Oxford United 2 (Maguire 63, Martinez 65)
- MICHAEL APPLETON COLUMN: We’re not afraid of Boro and relishing a bumper away day
- Chris Maguire hopes Oxford United can grab the FA Cup headlines against Middlesbrough