Wantage Town boss Gary Ackling admits tonight’s FA Cup preliminary round tie at home to Kidlington is “a bit of a nightmare”.
The Southern League Division 1 side will be expected to beat their Hellenic League Premier Division rivals.
But Ackling says that with the form of the two teams, he is certain Kidlington will be confident of a shock.
“We have got everything to lose and nothing to gain,” he said. “It’s a bit of a nightmare match for us to be honest.
“We are not in good form, they are going well, so I have no doubt they’ll be looking at this as a really good chance to pull off a victory.”
Ackling will next week bid to extend the loan spells of Swindon Town duo Matt Jones and Curtis Da Costa, but will be without Ryan Millward, who is sidelined for a month with a groin injury.
Kidlington boss Martin Wilkinson hopes to have last season’s top scorer Tommy Castle back from injury.
Didcot Town travel to Beaconsfield SYCOB tonight with three players sidelined.
Ryan Brooks suffered a recurrence of his hamstring injury in Monday’s 3-0 win over Fleet and will be out of action for a month.
Jack Bernasconi is also injured, while Ben Whitehead is on holiday.
However, James Organ returns to the squad.
Joint manager Ian Concannon commented: “The FA Cup is crucial for non-league clubs because of the prize money on offer.
“The lads know the importance of the game.”
North Leigh manager Mark Gee knows his Southern League Division 1 outfit must avoid errors if they are to beat Hellenic League Premier Division high-fliers Flackwell Heath tomorrow.
“We have a full strength squad, but while we are looking a real threat going forward, we are making individual mistakes that are costing us dear,” he said.
“We have to cut them out because Flackwell are going well and will be a real threat.”
In tomorrow’s other games, Abingdon United entertain Egham Town, Milton United host Marlow and Shrivenham Town are at home to Shortwood United.
Didcot Tn (v Beaconsfield SYCOB, away): from Foster, Heapy, Organ, Baines, Carnell, Learoyd, Elkins, Clark, Mills, Self, McKirnan, A Williams, Abrahart.
North Leigh (v Flackwell Heath, home): from Bullman, Else, Hopkins, Turk, Gunn, Hole, Caton, A Woodley, McNish, Williams, Sanders, Osborne-Rickets, Westlake, Ingram, Bowler, M Woodley.
Wantage Tn (v Kidlington, home): from Farrow, Tucker, Sadler, Da Costa, Cattell, Steedman, Jones, Lachacz, Johns, Barder, Shaw, Melledew, Riccio, Roberts, Deabill, Guy.
Kidlington (v Wantage Tn, away): from Bawn, Sanders, C Weedon, B Weedon Blakely, Rice, Franklin, Cassettari, Castle, Coyle, Willoughby, Quainton, Rice, Brown-Porter, Curtin.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers
- Oxford United closing in on first new signing of January transfer window
- FOOTBALL: Forget the table and just play, boss Mike Ford tells Banbury United
- RUGBY UNION: Late Basil Strang penalty earns Chinnor victory, but Henley Hawks are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Witney, Banbury and Oxford Harlequins win, but Grove suffer away defeat
- DARTS: Big win keeps Kidlington Green in ODDA title race
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks lose vital ground after suffering heavy home defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford beat Harwell to claim local bragging rights
- RUGBY UNION: Victory for Bicester, but Gosford All Blacks and Wallingford lose out
- DARTS: Deta Hedman back for Oxfordshire's match in Gwent