Oxford City general manager Justin Merritt knows there is more to come from his side, despite their unbeaten start to the season.
City have won two and drawn three of their opening five matches and sit sixth in the Vanarama Conference North table table and travel to Harrogate Town tomorrow.
Merritt knows they can get even better, and believes a tough run of matches will test the capabilities of the squad.
“If anyone had said to me at the start of the season we would be unbeaten after five matches, of course I’d have taken it,” he said.
“The frustrating thing is that a couple of the drawn games could, and probably should, have been victories. We’d have been right up there then.
“It’s been a very encouraging start, but I have said to the players that I think we are only playing to about 70 per cent capacity at the moment.
“I really believe that we can get a lot better.”
Darren Mullings and Alejandro- Adrian Santiago miss the game through suspension – Mullings serving the last of a three-game ban and Santiago missing his one match.
Liam Malone (ankle) is a doubt.
Merritt revealed he is close to bringing in another two new faces, but is not sure whether they will be signed in time to feature tomorrow.
Harrogate are winless so far, but City are taking nothing for granted.
“I spoke to the North Ferriby manager this week and he said that Harrogate are a good side,” Merritt added.
“They have one of the biggest budgets in the league and although they haven’t won yet, are sure to be very tough opponents for us.
“We’ve got some really tough tests coming up, starting with Saturday.”
Oxford City (v Harrogate Tn, away): from Scott, Benjamin, Lapoujade, Malone, Pond, Brown, Rodriguez, Wilson, Del Alamo, Winters, Stonehouse, Green, Afolabi, Barcelos, Yussuf.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Chris Maguire loving life at Oxford United – but it's 'too early' for contract talks
- Rob Hall eyes final fitness milestone in Oxford United's clash with Oldham Athletic
- Young Oxford United squad need me to be an assertive leader – Michael Appleton
- Oldham Athletic skipper calls for FA Cup response at Oxford United
- BOXING: Ex-world champion Steve Collins sees Oxford fighters star
- FOOTBALL: John Brough bidding to make more history for North Leigh in Trophy
- FOOTBALL: Banbury United boosted as Conor McDonagh turns down move to rivals
- FOOTBALL: Mike Fondop returns to give Oxford City a big lift
- RUGBY UNION: Chinnor sign London Welsh hooker Koree Britton to boost title hopes
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal