Bradley Smith is relishing the chance to put on a sparkling show for the home fans at Silverstone this weekend.
The Oxford MotoGP star will take to his home track for round 12 of the World Championship desperate to produce a performance to remember in front of a vocal crowd.
Smith has endured a mixed season on his Monster Yamaha Tech3 bike, but is hoping to break into the top five.
He accepts that he is under the spotlight in his home grand prix, but says the extra support is sure to spur him on.
“Racing in front of my home crowd is the best part of the season and also the worst, because you also have the extra pressure from the expectation,” he said.
“Everybody wants you to do well. I think the home environment gives you half a second. For some reason, it just lifts your game and lifts your performance.”
He added: “It goes without saying that I am very much looking forward to this weekend.
“It is a big event for me and I am proud to be able to ride at this great circuit, in front of the passionate British crowd.
“The home race is always a special occasion for any rider and, at a racetrack as historical and fast as Silverstone, Sunday will be one to remember as always.”
Smith knows the Northamptonshire circuit inside out and is keen to build on some fine performances there in the past.
“I’ve had some great results here, such as the second position in 2011 for the Tech3 Racing Moto2 team, and with the Yamaha winning here last year I am confident of fighting to get a great finish to make the crowd cheer.
“We had a really good post GP test in Brno and found some useful information which will certainly aid us in the race.
“So, I am fired up and ready to do my best in front of my family, friends, sponsors and for the fans.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton hoping to bring in two on deadline day
- Oxford United 4 (T Roberts 12, Maguire pen 36, Taylor 68, MacDonald 71), Exeter City 2 (Jay 43, McAlinden 61)
- Oxford United v Exeter City - LIVE
- Oxford United eye loan market for winger after permanent move for top target stalls
- Who was Oxford United's man of the match against Exeter?
- Simon Eastwood braced for ‘different’ mood as Oxford United set for low Checkatrade Trophy attendance
- FOOTBALL: Stuttering Oxford City beaten by ten-man Gosport Borough
- WOMEN'S FOOTBALL: Ella Franklin-Fraiture strike in vain as Oxford United fall to Durham defeat
- FOOTBALL: Superb North Leigh beat Swindon Supermarine to make four wins in a row
- DARTS: West Oxford Democrats Club survive scare to stay top of Section 2