OXFORDSHIRE trio David Clanfield, Paul Sharman and Alan Prew missed out on the triples title by the narrowest of margins in the England Championships final at Leamington Spa.
The Carterton team appeared to have one hand on the trophy as they led the Spencer Moulton trio of Andrew Colebrook, Russell Francis and Graham Shadwell by one shot with one end to play.
But in a dramatic conclusion, their opponents from Wiltshire claimed two shots to seal a 15-14 success.
Prew’s side had booked their place in the final in impressive style, scoring a seven on the first end of the semi-final as they defeated Keith Height, Matt Pownall and Callum Height from Thrapston (Northamptonshire) 27-2.
Height’s trio conceded victory after just 11 ends.
Spencer Moulton had reached the finale with an 18-7 victory against Kings, Devon.
Earlier, Carterton kicked off their campaign with a 16-9 win against Stenalees, Cornwall before beating Bolton (Lancashire) 28-9 in round two.
The Oxfordshire side defeated Worthing Pavillion 16-14 in the third round, before seeing off the challenge of Boscombe Cliff (Hampshire) 16-12 to reach the last four.
The county’s other team in the competition did not get past the first round.
The Shiplake Village trio of Francis Benham, David Bullock and Graham Kennedy lost 22-10 against Backworth Welfare from Northumberland.
Two-wood singles 1st round: N Lewis (Headington) 8, E Orchard (Silloth, Cumbria) 17; M Sykes (Banbury Borough) 16, M Fuller (Newmarket Avenue, Cambridgeshire) 12. 2nd round: M Sykes 9, M Shepherd (Northwick Gloucestershire) 14.
Senior singles 1st round: C Whitehead (Oxon) 20, S Lant (Northumberland) 21.
Mixed pairs last 16: K Hawes & H Watts (Oxon) 20, S Davies & A Walters (Worcs) 22.
Men’s pairs 1st round: G Schwab & M Sykes (Banbury Borough) 12, G Parker & R Stone (Wellworthy Dorset) 23; AJ Docherty & C Carpenter (Banbury Borough) 4, N Orrey & M Orrey (Grantham Lincolnshire) 22.
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- KAYAKING: Ava Dale to show off Great Britain vest
- ANGLING: Higgins pips Pether to big title
- UPDATE: Oxford United fans in a hurry to snap-up season tickets
- Callum O'Dowda an unused substitute in Republic of Ireland's draw with the Netherlands
- CRICKET: Shipton-under-Wychwood skipper Charlie Brain eyeing derby joy at Horspath
- CRICKET: Banbury skipper Lloyd Sabin excited to take on Division 1 champions High Wycombe
- CRICKET: Oxfordshire Over 50s B get off to flying start in County Championship
- Tennis fever sweeps Oxfordshire as Davis Cup comes to Abingdon
- Striker George Jeacock signs professional contract with Oxford United
- Oxford United supporters' group OxVox say season ticket rise is 'expected and accepted' by most fans