OXFORD City Stars’ squad for their forthcoming Division 1 campaign continues to take shape with another new signing.
Jamie Newton, a 28-year-old centre, has joined from Bristol Pitbulls ahead of the English National League campaign, which gets under way on September 13.
He will be joined in the squad by forwards Mason Wild and Jacob Smith, who have both re-signed for the club.
Wild, 24, joined the Stars for last year’s promotion season, while Smith, a 27-year-old from Oxford, has played for the club for ten years, starting with the junior teams in 2004.
Newton, a key player for the Pitbulls, scored almost a goal a game for them last season and is delighted to be joining Darren Elliott’s side.
“I’m really pleased to be playing in NIHL1 again,” he said.
“Darren and co are putting together a really good team, but being a local guy, I’m most pleased that I’ll be putting on the Stars jersey.”
Elliott added: “He’s got great ability and is an-out and-out goalscorer – he definitely knows where the net is.
“He brings a lot of strength to the firepower we already have upfront.
“Our signings are making us more competitive across the board.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United players draw breath before Wembley
- Wembley tickets to go on sale at Oxford United
- FOOTBALL: Didcot Town defender Sam Elkins banned for five games after involvement in pitch invasion against Hereford
- BOWLS: AJ Docherty nicks Oxfordshire indoor singles title in thrilling final
- ROWING: Headington School rule roost once again
- RUGBY UNION: Former London Welsh back Alan Awcock enjoying new career after ending professional playing days
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford Harlequins prop Matt Edney set for year-long New Zealand trip
- ICE HOCKEY: Oxford City Stars demolished by London Raiders in play-offs
- RUGBY UNION: Tom Stileman, Jordan Brodley and Sam Pointon named in England Students squad for Ireland Universities clash at Iffley Road
- ATHLETICS: Oxford City’s Stewart Thorp helps Great Britain win silver at Indoor World Masters Championships