OXFORD City Stars’ squad for their forthcoming Division 1 campaign continues to take shape with another new signing.
Jamie Newton, a 28-year-old centre, has joined from Bristol Pitbulls ahead of the English National League campaign, which gets under way on September 13.
He will be joined in the squad by forwards Mason Wild and Jacob Smith, who have both re-signed for the club.
Wild, 24, joined the Stars for last year’s promotion season, while Smith, a 27-year-old from Oxford, has played for the club for ten years, starting with the junior teams in 2004.
Newton, a key player for the Pitbulls, scored almost a goal a game for them last season and is delighted to be joining Darren Elliott’s side.
“I’m really pleased to be playing in NIHL1 again,” he said.
“Darren and co are putting together a really good team, but being a local guy, I’m most pleased that I’ll be putting on the Stars jersey.”
Elliott added: “He’s got great ability and is an-out and-out goalscorer – he definitely knows where the net is.
“He brings a lot of strength to the firepower we already have upfront.
“Our signings are making us more competitive across the board.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704.
Save our number into your phone's contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United run out of time in plans for temporary fourth stand against Wycombe Wanderers
- We have no reason to change preparations, says Oxford United striker Chris Maguire
- FOOTBALL: Oxford Blackbirds crowned Oxford Mail Youth League's Under 12 Division C champions
- Ollie Mersch's superb century for Minster Lovell brushes aside Combe
- Mike Ford hoping to keep star men at Banbury United
- CRICKET: Charlbury's Ashley Rump hammers super 196 not out to batter Radley in OCA
- AUNT SALLY: Barry Townsend so close to a maximum
- FOOTBALL: Berinsfield stay top but North Berks title hopes rest with rivals
- FOOTBALL: Horatio Hirst hammers four-timer as Oxfordshire seal title glory
- FOOTBALL: West Witney beat Carterton Town to boost Witney & District FA title challenge