General manager Justin Merritt could not hide his joy at seeing Oxford City finally score the goals they had been threatening, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
Adi Yussuf (2) and Alejandro-Adrian Santiago’s goal gave unbeaten City a 3-2 victory at Solihull Moors in Vanarama Conference North on Saturday.
And after scoring just once in their opening three games, Merritt felt the goals had been coming.
“In the last couple of games we had created a number of chances and that finishing touch just hadn’t happened,” he said.
“We had been creating the chances, but just hadn’t been getting enough people forward and that’s what we’ve been working on this last week in training.”
There is little time to dwell on a job well done, with less than 48 hours to prepare for this afternoon’s clash with Gloucester City.
Merritt added: “Obviously we’ll go into the game looking for back-to-back wins.
“One or two have knocks and we’ve also got Declan (Benjamin) available again, so we have some decisions to make.
“But I’m going to enjoy this victory first.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United loan target Tyler Roberts joins Sky Bet League One strugglers
- Oxford United closing in on first new signing of January transfer window
- FOOTBALL: Forget the table and just play, boss Mike Ford tells Banbury United
- RUGBY UNION: Late Basil Strang penalty earns Chinnor victory, but Henley Hawks are beaten
- RUGBY UNION: Witney, Banbury and Oxford Harlequins win, but Grove suffer away defeat
- DARTS: Big win keeps Kidlington Green in ODDA title race
- HOCKEY: Oxford Hawks lose vital ground after suffering heavy home defeat
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford beat Harwell to claim local bragging rights
- RUGBY UNION: Victory for Bicester, but Gosford All Blacks and Wallingford lose out
- DARTS: Deta Hedman back for Oxfordshire's match in Gwent