General manager Justin Merritt could not hide his joy at seeing Oxford City finally score the goals they had been threatening, writes MATTHEW BRUCE.
Adi Yussuf (2) and Alejandro-Adrian Santiago’s goal gave unbeaten City a 3-2 victory at Solihull Moors in Vanarama Conference North on Saturday.
And after scoring just once in their opening three games, Merritt felt the goals had been coming.
“In the last couple of games we had created a number of chances and that finishing touch just hadn’t happened,” he said.
“We had been creating the chances, but just hadn’t been getting enough people forward and that’s what we’ve been working on this last week in training.”
There is little time to dwell on a job well done, with less than 48 hours to prepare for this afternoon’s clash with Gloucester City.
Merritt added: “Obviously we’ll go into the game looking for back-to-back wins.
“One or two have knocks and we’ve also got Declan (Benjamin) available again, so we have some decisions to make.
“But I’m going to enjoy this victory first.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest Sport news
- Oxford United boss Michael Appleton wishes departing loanee Dan Crowley well ahead of Dutch move from Arsenal
- Oxford United make request to West Bromwich Albion for Tyler Roberts loan extension
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford's record run over as Cambridge edge thriller
- LIVE UPDATES: The Varsity Matches
- RUGBY UNION: Oxford University beat Cambridge University in Women's Varsity Match
- VARSITY MATCH: Oxford University fly half Basil Strang gets his kicks by playing at Twickenham
- Oxford United drawn at home to Scunthorpe United in Checkatrade Trophy
- VARSITY MATCH: Pressure is still on us, admits Oxford University winger Tom Stileman
- VARSITY MATCH: Catherine Wilcock backing Oxford University Women to step up
- RUGBY UNION: Dark Blues skipper Fergus Taylor out for more Varsity Match joy