TOM Newey played down the significance of Oxford United propping up the Football League in the wake of Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Portsmouth.
It is the first time the U’s have ever been last in the fourth tier and they are still waiting for their first point of the season.
But with the season not yet a month old, Newey is not overly concerned, pointing to the side’s improved style and arguing it will reap rewards.
The left back said: “Obviously we’re disappointed where we are, but it’s only four games in.
“I think if you look at the bigger picture there are a lot of positives.
- U's v Pompey highlights
“As a group of players and staff we believe in the brand of football we are trying to play.
“It’s enjoyable to play and it will be more so when we start beating teams.”
He added: “We started like a house on fire last season and we faded massively, so let’s not read too much into it so far.”
While most of the attention on United’s struggles so far this season has focused on the attacking third, they have also conceded preventable goals.
Craig Westcarr’s scrappy match-winner ten minutes from time was no exception.
Newey said: “It just bounced up awkwardly and it hit one of our defenders.
“He just bundled it in really.
“It’s disappointing from a defensive point of view, but it’s probably the only chance they had all game.
“It was the same at Morecambe (a 1-0 defeat) the other night.”
- Do you want alerts delivered straight to your phone via our WhatsApp service? Text NEWS or SPORT or NEWS AND SPORT, depending on which services you want, and your full name to 07767 417704. Save our number into your phone’s contacts as Oxford Mail WhatsApp and ensure you have WhatsApp installed.
Latest United news:
- James Roberts nets in Oxford United's pre-season draw at Bath
- Michael Appleton hopeful of sealing deals for attacking players next week
- Oxford United's youth team set for dream trip to face Atletico Madrid
- Fourth stand plans taking shape as Oxford United hope to gain permission for Swindon Town clash
- Oxford United's Liam Sercombe to have an X-ray today on heel problem